FedEx Compatible Program FAQ
What is the FedEx Compatible program?
The FedEx Compatible program works with third-party software providers to integrate FedEx shipping functionality into their solutions.
How does this program benefit FedEx customers?
Today, customers of all sizes demand integration. With the FedEx Compatible program, customers can conveniently access FedEx shipping services, and in many cases other transportation carriers, through a single, third-party shipping solution. This makes FedEx shipping a seamless part of the shipper’s end-to-end process.
When is a FedEx Compatible solution right for a customer?
A FedEx Compatible solution is right for the customer who:
- Needs to ship with more than one carrier from a single shipping system.
- Has complex, highly customized integration needs.
- Needs features or functionality not available through FedEx proprietary automation.
What does it mean to be a Certified FedEx Compatible provider?
A Certified FedEx Compatible provider has successfully integrated FedEx shipping functionality within their solution and passed FedEx certification testing.
How does a third-party developer become a FedEx Compatible provider?
A third-party developer must complete the following:
- Contact the Compatible Marketing team through the provider form at https://www.fedex.com/ca_english/compatible/apply-now.html.
- A Channel Manager will explain the program and help the developer complete the necessary legal agreements.
- The developer must then submit the software to FedEx for certification testing, including labels, transactions and branding.
- All providers must update their solution and complete certification on the new software version annually.
Where do I find a list of FedEx Compatible providers?
Click here to see a complete list of all FedEx Compatible providers. You can request more information by completing the provider’s Contact Request Form.
What transportation services do the FedEx Compatible providers support?
Certified providers fully support FedEx Express and FedEx Ground unless they have requested and been granted a waiver for a particular service. Many providers offer generic bill-of-lading support for LTL.
Are there Compatible solutions for small, medium and large customers?
Yes, most providers support a wide range of customer segments. Customers should request contact with the providers to see if they can meet their specific needs. Customers may also reach out to their FedEx sales professional regarding the FedEx Compatible program and the FedEx team will offer guidance to help customers select a suitable solution.
Are customers' discounted rates automatically loaded onto the third-party systems?
Yes, if FedEx Ship Manager Server (FSMS) and FedEx Web Services support the discount program, the third-party system that uses those technologies will also support the discount. The customer's rates will be automatically downloaded the first time the system dials into FedEx or after a FedEx sales professional makes any rate changes.
How does the customer install FedEx on their FedEx Compatible solution?
If FedEx is not part of the system's standard package, the customer should contact the provider to request installation and activation of the FedEx shipping functionality.
What does a FedEx Compatible provider do?
- Analyzes customer needs and proposes the appropriate solution.
- Sets prices on FedEx Compatible solution software, integration services and possibly hardware.
- Establishes an integration and installation schedule with the customer.
- Completes integration and installation of a customer's new shipping solution, including the FedEx functionality.
- If using FedEx Ship Manager Server, guides the customer through the setup process on the registration web site, which allows the customer to agree to the FedEx End User License Agreements, and returns the customer's meter number for the new shipping solution.
- Configures the customer's new solution with the newly assigned meter number.
- Provides full support for the FedEx Compatible solution.
Following implementation, where does the customer go for technical support?
For technical support, customers utilizing FedEx Compatible solutions can rely on their FedEx Compatible provider to:
- Provide full support for the FedEx Compatible solution.
- Escalate any unresolved customer issue with the FedEx functionality to FedEx technical support.
- Work with the customer to provide annual software updates.