European SME Export Report
Export /import trends and behaviours of SMEs in Europe
Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) play a fundamentally important role in Europe's economy. Indeed, the European Commission considers SMEs and entrepreneurship as “key to ensuring economic growth, innovation, job creation, and social integration in the EU”*.
Given the clear link between SME performance and overall economic outcomes in the region, it’s reassuring to see that the future looks bright.
Opportunities to sell goods overseas are increasing all the time, as even the smallest business increasingly trade online, meaning that physical size or location is no longer a barrier to doing business internationally.
As a leading provider of international shipping services to SMEs, FedEx Express recently commissioned a research study carried by Harris Interactive to increase understanding of the unique trends and challenges that SMEs face across Europe.
Research highlights include:
- 38% of SMEs are currently ‘internationally active’ i.e. exporting products to at least one other country/territory
- Faster-growing SMEs (52%) are almost twice as likely to export as SMEs that are in decline or static (28%), highlighting the importance of exports for successful businesses
- SMEs that export are typically more positive about future business performance (60% expect revenue growth in the next year) than those that do not export (48%)
- The typical frequency of exports to European and global markets ranges between weekly and monthly - the vast majority ship less than 20 times each month
- The average value of shipments is high, generating over €604k revenue p.a., on average, for European exports and almost €647k p.a. for exports to ‘global’ markets
Download the European SME Export Report to read more.
*Source: European Commission
- European SME Export Report
- FedEx Great British Export Report 2015
- FedEx Express: UK Export Epicentres Report
- Bigger, bolder, braver: the secret to successful SMEs
- Has Bean Coffee: Quick delivery is the biggest challenge
- E-commerce, logistics and cashew nuts: how southern African small businesses are making the world rethink the region
- How SMEs can overcome common barriers to growth
- Small businesses: delivering in one piece
- Is your SME ready to export?
- The Great British Export Report
- New Paths, New Opportunities for Small and Medium Businesses
- How to export to EU and beyond
- Putting Logistics to Work for You: In Three Simple Steps
- Five top tips for SMEs on how to navigate customs around the world