Five handy tips for Stress-Free Holiday Shipping
- Clearly label your package for customs purposes.
Your Air Waybill should answer three questions about your package: what is it, what is it made of, what is it used for? Customers who don’t supply enough information about their package may find it’s held up by customs. To avoid disappointing delays, ensure your package is clearly labeled.
- When sending a gift, make sure you write “personal gift” on your Air Waybill.
Telling Customs that your package is non-commercial by clearly stating “personal gift” after its description will help ensure you don’t attract unnecessary customs duties and taxes. Gift limit (duty free) to IN is INR 10k or equivalent USD 183 as per the current prevailing exchange rate.
- If purchasing via the internet, check to see if local taxes and duties are included in the price.
Many people think they’re getting a great price when they buy items overseas via the internet, but get a surprise when their package arrives with a demand for customs duties and VAT.
- Ensure your package is well wrapped, with plenty of padding.
FedEx provides free shipping boxes, but customers need to wrap their packages carefully. Invest in some bubble-wrap, styrofoam beads or lots of newspaper to help protect your present! Have a look at our packaging tips.
- Accurately estimate the cost of your package and take out adequate insurance.
The vast majority of FedEx packages are delivered safely to their address, but sometimes things can go wrong. All customers are asked to declare the value of their shipment – undervaluing can affect their insurance. Customers should also ensure they have adequate insurance, especially for high-value shipments.