Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I get a FedEx Account?
- Do I need a FedEx account to ship?
- How do I start shipping online?
You will first need a FedEx Account Number.
You can open an account online.
You can get an Account Number by contacting the Customer Service.
The second step is to register for a fedex.com login ID and password.
You can then begin shipping immediately using FedEx Express.
- To learn how to ship online using FedEx Ship Manager at fedex.com, use the Interactive Help Guide demo.
- For more information on what you need to ship a package, visit our online Shipping Guide.
- Can I handle the entire shipping process online?
Yes, all the tools and information you need to make shipping as easy and convenient as possible are available online.
For more information about the online shipping tools available on fedex.com, visit the fedex.com Welcome Centre to discover how fedex.com makes online shipping easy.
Learn how to ship online using FedEx Ship Manager® at fedex.com, use the Interactive Help Guide demo.
- What service do I use to ship my package?
FedEx Express offers reliable, time-definite delivery of your most urgent shipments to more than 220 countries around the world, all backed by our Money-Back Guarantee.
Click here to select the service that meets your need.
- Can I prepare my shipping documents online?
Yes, it's easy to prepare your shipments online. If you already have a FedEx account number, login to FedEx Ship Manager® at fedex.com to process your shipment. Print out your shipping labels on a laser printer and you're ready to ship.
- Where can I get information on how to ship a package?
Find out everything that you need to know before you ship any package in our comprehensive online Shipping Guide.
- What is the difference between "document" and "non-document" or “product” shipments for international shipping?
A "document" shipment includes paper of little or no commercial value such as business correspondence, and generally doesn't require a Commercial Invoice. A "non-document" or “product” shipment defines all other shipments and printed materials of value. Examples include clothing, automobile parts, sports equipment, books, etc. All non-document international shipments require a Commercial Invoice.
- What shipping documents do I need to ship a FedEx Express package internationally?
To ship a FedEx Express package, you will need to complete an international air waybill. .
You can complete it online using FedEx Ship Manager® at fedex.com.
You must use the FedEx International Air Waybill and print or type in the required information. You can order the FedEx International Air Waybill and other Packaging Supplies online, or call the Customer Service.
All non-document international shipments also require a Commercial Invoice. It is the official transaction record between an exporter and an importer, and is relied on by customs officials to clear shipments across international borders. Gifts, videotapes, drawings, and all other non-document shipments, regardless of value, require a Commercial Invoice.
For more information on how to prepare shipping documents to ship internationally, please visit our online Shipping Guide. Please visit our Customs Tools section, or call the Customer Service for more details.
- How do I get my package to FedEx?
You can choose from these options:
- Drop your package off at a FedEx Drop-off Location
- Arrange for a courier pickup online
- Arrange for a courier pickup by calling the Customer Service
- Use a regular pickup scheduled with the Customer Service
- How do I find a FedEx Drop-off location?
Use our online Drop-off Locator to find the closest FedEx staffed locations or drop boxes near you. View or print a map showing FedEx locations and get driving directions.
- How do I request a courier?
From the Ship tab menu, select Schedule a Pickup and you can schedule a same-day or next-day pickup for your FedEx Express packages.
If you ship many packages a week and would like to schedule a regular pickup, please call the Customer Service.
- When do package dimensions determine my rates?
Shipments in FedEx-provided packaging are not currently subject to dimensional weight pricing. Dimensional weight is a calculation of a shipment's weight based on the dimensional weight instead of its actual weight. To obtain a rate quote, you will need to provide shipment dimensions along with the actual weight of your shipment.
- How do I calculate dimensional weight?
For all FedEx Express shipments to any other country, dimensional weight is calculated by the following formula: Length x Width x Height (all in cm or all in inches)/ factor number, communicated from time to time by FedEx.
FedEx reserves the right to assess transportation charges based on dimensional weight for all shipments.
- How do I check the status of a FedEx Express without the FedEx tracking number?
If you do not have access to a tracking number, you can still track your shipments with Alternate Reference Tracking.
With Alternate Reference Tracking, you can track your shipments using reference numbers already assigned to a shipment. You can either track with or without an account number.
Note: Only unique matches will be displayed when tracking by reference without an account number. If multiple results are found for the same reference number, you must select a FedEx service before clicking Resubmit all. If a unique match cannot be found, you will be prompted to enter the account number.
You can also track packages without a tracking number using FedEx InSight®. FedEx InSight is a value-added service that can provide eligible customers with a new level of visibility. Learn more about FedEx InSight.
- Can I assign my own tracking number for my shipment?
For FedEx Express shipments, you may assign a reference number, which can be any number you determine. This can include billing numbers, invoice numbers, or other codes.
You must include your reference number in the space provided when you ship online or on your paper waybill to track your shipment. Your reference number will be displayed on your invoice.
- Can I get a copy of the delivery signature?
Yes. To confirm a FedEx Express has been received and signed for, you can use our online Signature Proof of Delivery feature. With this tool, you can see a picture of the recipient's signature.
You can get a letter online or by fax that shows a picture of the recipient's signature (if the signature is available).
- Can I confirm what address the package was delivered to?
You can obtain a Signature Proof of Delivery letter with detailed information by providing the 9-digit FedEx account number. If the account number matches the shipper or payer of the shipment, you will be able to view detailed Signature Proof of Delivery information, which includes complete contact name, company name, street address, city, state/province, zip/postal code, and country information for both the shipper and recipient (if available).
Without the account number, only the signature is available.
The signature image and additional recipient information may not be available for display in all countries. This will be indicated on the Signature Proof of Delivery where applicable.
- Can I reroute a FedEx Express package in transit or make an address correction?
A reroute is a request to change a delivery address from what was originally on the air waybill or shipping label. FedEx can reroute a shipment if it is authorized by the sender. Only one reroute per package is allowed.
A reroute includes a change:
- From one street address to another in the same city/state
- From Hold at FedEx Location instructions to a request for a delivery
- From delivery instructions to a request for Hold at FedEx Location
- From one Hold at FedEx Location to another in the same city/state
If you want to re-route a shipment, call Customer Service and provide the following information:
- FedEx tracking number
- The new destination address and contact telephone number for the recipient.
- Are there any extra charges for rerouting a package?
Yes, additional restrictions and fees may apply. There is no extra charge to hold packages for pickup instead of delivery, however the person authorized to pick up the package will require photo I.D. FedEx Money-Back Guarantee do not apply to shipments that are rerouted.
FedEx reserves the right to determine the mode of transportation (including air, ground, or other carriers) to get your shipment to its new destination as quickly as possible. FedEx will attempt to honor the new delivery request, but verification and handling procedures may result in delays.
- How can I monitor all of my incoming, outgoing, and third party shipments?
Take advantage of the advanced tracking capabilities of FedEx InSight®, a web-based tool that can provide you with a new level of visibility into your shipment activities. Registering for FedEx InSight will allow you to:
- Track without a tracking or reference number.
- Receive proactive shipment notifications via e-mail.
- Monitor all of their shipments.
Learn more about FedEx InSight.
- What does the status "exception" mean?
The status exception means that an unexpected event is preventing delivery of your package. Some examples of status exceptions include a customs delay, no one to accept delivery of your package, holiday, missing documentation, etc. If you want more information about the status of your package, please call Customer Service.
- What does the status "In Transit" mean?
If the tracking status of your shipment is “In Transit”, it means that your package is on its way to its final destination. It does not necessarily mean that your package is in a moving vehicle such as an aircraft of truck, it may be at a FedEx facility.
- Where should I send my FedEx Express payment?
Please call Customer Service.
- What methods of payment may I use to pay for my FedEx Express?
If shipments are billed to your FedEx account, you can pay for all FedEx Express services by:
- Money order
- Credit card (MasterCard®, VISA®, American Express®) payments are applied only to accounts linked to a credit card.
- Cheque (including cashier's cheques)
Payment in cash is available at designated FedEx locations. At locations where cash is not accepted, you may pay by cheque, credit card, or charge to a valid FedEx account number in good standing.
For more information, refer to the Terms and Conditions in the Federal Express Conditions of Carriage for EMEA.
- Can I link my account to my credit card?
Yes. If you currently receive invoices, and want to link your account to a credit card, please call Customer Service. You will subsequently receive regular Activity Records from FedEx detailing all your shipments instead of invoices and all your shipping charges will automatically appear on your credit card statement.
- Is there a guide explaining my new invoice format?
Click My New Invoice to learn about the changes to your invoice
If you have any more questions please contact our Customer Service department at 199.151.119 (0.10 € / min, VAT included)
Or send an email to email@example.com and mention My New Invoice
- How do I file a loss/damage claim for a FedEx Express shipment that arrived but was damaged?
You can file a FedEx Express claim by downloading the following claim form and instructions in PDF format. You will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader. You have the option to mail, fax, or e-mail the form to your FedEx Customer Support Representative(s).
- Does FedEx Express offer a money-back guarantee?
Yes. If your FedEx Express package is delivered even 60 seconds later than we promise, we provide a Money-Back Guarantee (some restrictions apply). For more information, please refer to the Federal Express Conditions of Carriage for EMEA.
- What happens when no one is available at my home or office to accept a shipment?
If you are not available to accept delivery of your shipment, your courier may leave you a delivery attempt notice with information on when the next delivery attempt will be made. If you need more information about a package, please call Customer Service. You can also track the status of you shipment online at fedex.com.
- How can I learn about FedEx career opportunities?
Visit our careers section for more information about how to apply for a position at FedEx Express.
- As a student, what is the best way for me to get information about FedEx?
We suggest that you explore the About FedEx section of this web site. About FedEx offers a wealth of information about FedEx, investor relations and more.