Worldwide Customs and Regulatory Updates
Requirements for Importing FDA regulated Shipments into Thailand
Effective 1st July 2011, all shipments containing restricted FDA (Foods and Drugs Administration) commodities, which are imported into Thailand without a license, may be destroyed.
According to Articles 27 and 27 bis of the Customs Act B.E. 2469, any restricted items imported into Thailand, including, but not limited to, medicine, food, drinks, supplementary products, vitamins, and cosmetics, must have an import license issued by the relevant government agency.
Non-compliant shipments may be subject to a customs fine upon arrival, or they may be destroyed unless permits and supporting documents are provided to fulfill FDA requirements.
FedEx therefore recommends shippers to take note of the following:
- Shipments of all FDA related commodities, including, but not limited to medicine, food, drinks, supplementary products, vitamins, and cosmetics, must be accompanied by a license issued by the Ministry of Health prior to importation, along with the air waybill and commercial invoice.
- A small number of shipments may be subject to FDA assessment on a case-by-case basis and delivery will be delayed until the assessment is completed. These shipments may also incur fines.
- Small amounts of medicine shipped for personal use require a medical prescription and letter of explanation and are also subject to FDA assessment. Delivery will be delayed until the assessment is completed and these shipments may also incur fines.
To avoid potential risks and to ensure your shipments can be delivered in a timely manner, the following documents are required:
- Statement of import purpose (original copy)
- Import license/purchase order (issued by FDA)
- Authorization document allowing FedEx to process the shipment through the FDA on behalf of the importer
- Power of attorney statement
- Company Registration from Ministry of Commerce
- Copy of Identification of all authorized personnel according to the Company Registration from Ministry of Commerce
- Copy of Identification of two witnesses
For further enquiries, please contact our Customer Service team.