Get help with Customs procedures, limitations, and restrictions. Prepare your shipment properly.
All shipments crossing international borders must be cleared through Customs in the destination country prior to being delivered to the recipient. Unless the sender specified a broker, FedEx submits shipments to Customs and other regulatory agencies. It is the sender's responsibility to provide the necessary and correct documentation. Shipments that require more than the FedEx International Air Waybill and Commercial Invoice may require more transit time. If shipments are held by Customs because of incorrect or missing documentation we may first attempt to notify the recipient.
When shipping to Nigeria, clearance through Customs depends on whether you're shipping:
- Documents with no commercial value
- Dutiable goods
- All dutiable shipments need formal Customs clearance. Customs duty is based on the value of the shipment and the commodity shipped. FedEx will charge the recipient all duties and taxes, including 5% VAT, which must be paid before delivery.
Freight valued over US $1,000 will require a Clean Report of Inspection (CRI) from the appointed inspection agent.
Certain items are prohibited by Customs for import to Nigeria. These items are in addition to items forbidden by IATA. Senders are responsible for making sure that the goods they are shipping are acceptable for shipment to Nigeria. Shipments arriving into Nigeria may undergo inspection by the Nigeria Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA).
Forbidden for Import to Nigeria
- Dangerous goods as defined by IATA
- Food, perishable
Required documentation varies according to the following factors::
- Whether you are shipping documents with no Declared value. These shipments require only the fully completed FedEx International Air Waybill.
- If you are shipping documents with a Declared value greater than US $25 or dutiable goods, we require a FedEx International Air Waybill and a Commercial Invoice.
Take note of the following regulations when importing to Nigeria.
- The dimensional and weight maximums for import shipments:
- FedEx International Priority: 274 cm (108 in) L, 330 cm (130 in) L & G, 50 kg (110 lb)
- An invoice is required for all shipments with a Declared value.