Frequently Asked Questions About FedEx Rate Changes
The most commonly asked questions about FedEx shipping rates, including 2014 rate changes and calculation of shipping costs, are answered here. Don't see the answer you're looking for? Go to the Customer Support section of fedex.com for more FAQs and contact information.
Jan. 6, 2014
FedEx Shipping Rates and Rate Changes
- Why are my shipping rates changing?
For a shipping company, the cost of doing business — fuel prices, the cost of updating or replacing equipment and vehicles, and more — makes it necessary for us to periodically evaluate our shipping rates, surcharges and fees. We make adjustments to enable us to keep investing in our business and ensure that we continue to deliver the shipping solutions and service excellence you have come to expect from FedEx.
- What services are affected by the rate change?
- FedEx Express package and freight rates increased for U.S., U.S. export and U.S. import services. Minimum rates for FedEx Express® services changed. There are some changes to fees and surcharges as well.
- FedEx Ground, FedEx Home Delivery® and FedEx SmartPost® rates changed.
- FedEx® Retail Rates changed.
- When do the rate, surcharge and fee changes take effect?
All new rate, surcharge and fee changes took effect on Monday, Jan. 6, 2014, unless otherwise noted.
- Where can I find my 2014 shipping rates?
- To calculate shipping costs, you can use our Rate Tools application. Additionally, you can download the Jan. 6, 2014, FedEx Service Guide to view 2014 FedEx Express standard list rates and FedEx Ground rates.
- View 2014 FedEx Express rates.
- View FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery rates.
- View FedEx Ground Multiweight® Rates.
- How do I determine when surcharges and fees apply?
You can find surcharge and fee information in the Fees and Other Shipping Information section of the Jan. 6, 2014, FedEx Service Guide or the Rates and Surcharges section of the FedEx Service Guide online.
- How is the fuel surcharge determined?
FedEx calculates the fuel surcharge for FedEx Express from the per-gallon price of kerosene-type jet fuel and the fuel surcharge for FedEx Ground from the per-gallon price of diesel fuel. Go to our Fuel Surcharges page for additional information.
- How will the FedEx Express and FedEx Ground fuel surcharges be adjusted?
FedEx Express and FedEx Ground did not adjust the fuel price at which the fuel surcharge begins and did not reduce the fuel surcharge.
- How can I compare shipping rates for different FedEx® services or get a 2014 FedEx rate quote?
There are two resources you can use to compare rates for different FedEx services:
- Where can I find FedEx rate tools?
You can go to our Rate Tools application to calculate your FedEx shipping costs.
- How can I get a 2014 FedEx Service Guide?
You can download the Jan. 6, 2014, FedEx Service Guide.
- How do electronic shipping solutions support the rate change?
FedEx Express and FedEx Ground rate changes are available to all users of FedEx Ship Manager® at fedex.com, FedEx Ship Manager® API and FedEx Web Services (web integration solutions).
FedEx Express rates were downloaded to all versions of FedEx Ship Manager® hardware and software and FedEx Ship Manager® Server.
FedEx Ground rates were downloaded to specific versions of FedEx Ship Manager hardware and software and FedEx Ship Manager Server on or after Jan. 6, 2014.
For details on supported versions of the software updates, see the FedEx Ship Manager hardware and software update page on fedex.com.