View reference lists
Click the References tab on the Shipping Administration screen, and then choose Reference Lists to view all existing reference lists.
View references in a reference list
- Select the reference list you wish to modify, and click Edit.
Search or select reference lists to display
- Search: enter your search criteria in the Search box and select the field in which to search from the drop-down menu. Click Go.
- View: click All or a letter or number from the View options.
Sort reference lists
Use one of the following options:
- Select a column from the sort by menu.
- Choose a column header to sort the column in ascending or descending order by that column.
Edit a reference list
Select the reference list you wish to modify, and click Edit.
Delete a reference list
Select the reference list you wish to delete, and click Delete. Click OK to confirm the deletion and remove the reference list from the system.
Create a new reference list
Click Create new reference lists.
Add references to a reference list
Use one of the following options:
- Click one or more references, and then select the reference list from the Add to drop-down menu.
- Select the reference list to which you wish to add the references, and click Edit.
Department and user references
A reference is a customizable field that allows you to record details about different kinds of shipments. They appear on your FedEx invoice or on administrative reports. When a user is assigned to a department, the references defined for that department are the default settings on that individual’s User References screen. To customize references at the user level for greater flexibility and control, select Customize privileges, references and defaults in the User Settings section on the User Profile screen.
Refer to References for information on viewing, adding, editing, deleting, importing and exporting references and reference lists.
For FedEx Express® and FedEx Ground® services
- Your reference
- Department no.
- Invoice no.
Details about references
- Reference fields are located in the Billing Details section on the FedEx Ship Manager® screens.
- You can enter up to 30 characters total in all reference fields.
- References can be used for tracking and reporting purposes.
- All references print on your FedEx Express and FedEx Ground invoices. All references except for Invoice number print on your FedEx Express Freight invoices.
- References print on all shipping labels except plain paper FedEx Express international labels, which include only one reference field.
For FedEx Freight® LTL services
- Shipper ID1
- Shipper ID2
- BOL no.
- PO no.
- Shipper ID1 and Shipper ID2 are located in the From section and BOL no. and PO no. are located in the Shipment Details section of the FedEx Ship Manager’s Generate Bill of Lading screen.
- You can enter up to 30 characters in the reference fields.
- References can be used for tracking and reporting purposes and can be selected to print on reports.
- Shipper ID1, Shipper ID2, and PO no. print on the FedEx Freight Bill of Lading.
Select one of the following validation options for each reference:
- Not required (text field): The reference is not required to create a shipment, but the user may enter information in the text field.
- Not required (view list): The reference is not required to create a shipment, but the user may click Select to choose the reference from a list. This option requires the administrator to provide reference options.
- Required (text field): The user must enter an alphanumeric entry in the reference field in order to continue creating a shipment.
- Required (view list): The user must click Select, choose the appropriate reference option, then click OK to continue. This option requires the administrator to provide reference options.
- Default and cannot change: The reference field is auto-populated with default information. The user cannot change the reference information.
- Required with validation (text field): The user must enter an alphanumeric entry for this reference that must then be matched to a reference in the database or an assigned list to continue creating a shipment. This option requires the administrator to provide references to validate against.
- Required with validation (view list): The user must click Select, choose the appropriate reference option, and then click OK to continue. This option requires the administrator to provide references to validate against.
You may select a reference list for the reference under List display. When the user clicks Select for the reference, this list displays in the drop-down menu.
To define the default value for a reference, enter or select an option under Reference default in one of two ways:
- Enter the default reference information in the text field.
- Click Select. The References screen appears. Select the reference ID you’d like this reference to default to, and click Select.
Apply to return shipments
To make the reference available for returns, click the checkbox for that reference under Apply to return shipments.
Click Save to save the information you’ve entered and return to the main Users or Departments screen, or click Continue to save the information and continue on the Defaults screen.
If you want to discard what you’ve done on this screen without saving it, click Cancel and return to the main User or Departments screen.
Navigate between the screens
Click Next or Previous to navigate between the User or Department Profile, Privileges, References and Defaults screens.