Before you process shipments containing alcohol, review the following information:
- You must sign a FedEx Alcohol Shipping Agreement prior to shipping. Contact your FedEx account executive to start the enrollment process.
- You must identify alcohol
shipments in the description. This applies to all pieces in a multiple piece
shipment and must be done for the first pieces in the shipment.
Note: If Alcohol special service is not specified for the first package in the shipment, but is specified for a subsequent package in the shipment, then the transaction fails for all pieces.
- Common carriers such as FedEx Express® and FedEx Ground® must report alcohol shipping activity to state authorities on a regular basis. For this reason, shippers must notify FedEx of each shipment containing alcohol via their electronic FedEx shipping solution and by applying FedEx alcohol shipping labels.
- FedEx will assign the Adult Signature Required signature option to the package (ship, rate, and email return transactions).
- FedEx will apply the associated Adult Signature Required surcharge to the package (ship, rate, and email return transactions).
- FedEx will add $AW to the beginning of the customer’s reference field (ship and email return transactions only).
- State law, as well as FedEx policy, requires an adult signature at the time of delivery for every package containing alcohol. It is the shipper’s responsibility to ensure an adult is available to sign for the shipment at delivery. If a shipper fails to follow the procedures outlined herein, the shipment will be deemed undeliverable. Violations may result in suspension or termination of your FedEx account.
For more information about alcohol shipping, go to fedex.com/us/wine/gettingstarted.html.
FedEx accepts shipments of alcohol (beer, wine, and spirits) within the U.S. and for both U.S. import and export when the shipper and the recipient are licensed to import and/or export alcohol.
For more detailed information about the services offered by FedEx, see the electronic FedEx Service Guide.