Introduction to FedEx Web Services
FedEx Web Services is the next-generation solution for integrating FedEx® technologies into your business applications using the industry standard of Web services.
The following information is intended to give you the information you need to get started integrating FedEx services with your applications.
Definitions you need to know
- Web services: Modular software systems that support interoperable machine-to-machine interaction over a network
- API: Application programming interface
- XML: Extensible Markup Language used to facilitate the sharing of data across different information systems like the Internet
- WSDL: Web Services Description Language is an XML-based language that provides a model for describing Web services
- HTTP: Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) is a communications protocol used to transfer or convey information on the World Wide Web
Technologies to better fit your business
FedEx has offered integration solutions for several years, including FedEx Ship Manager® API and FedEx Ship Manager® Direct. Now, with the standardization of Web services, FedEx is introducing additional functionality and support through FedEx Web Services.
Through FedEx Web Services, we’re changing the way your systems interact with ours. What this means for you is that you now have more options and can create more unique, customized solutions — faster.
Web services as the future of integration
Web services go beyond traditional application development models by including the following features:
- Interoperability: Any Web service can interact with any other Web service regardless of programming language used.
- Ubiquity: Web services communicate using both HTTP and XML allowing any connected device that supports these technologies to both host and access Web services.
- Ease of development: With easy-to-understand development concepts, Web services can be quickly developed and deployed with many readily available toolkits.
- Industry support: Web services development is supported by many content providers and vendors.
FedEx Web Services delivers simplified integration
FedEx Web Services lets you add simplified, streamlined FedEx shipping integration to your company Web sites, internal business applications, software, and more. With FedEx Web Services, you can:
- Streamline your business operations by integrating features such as rating, tracking, address verification and correction, pickups, returns, transit times, and more into your current business workflow. You’ll be able to provide the positive, efficient shipping experience that today’s clients demand.
- Keep your applications up-to-date by using an industry-standard, easy development model that is compatible with all programming languages.
- Get end-to-end support from FedEx in a secure environment. We’ll provide you with the support needed for a successful implementation using Web services technology:
- Product planning guidance
- Documentation and sample code
- Testing and production
The decision to use FedEx Web Services is an easy one
We recommend FedEx Web Services as your integration solution if your business has:
- Online transactions that need immediate response.
- Low to medium transaction volume.
If your business has a high transaction volume, we recommend FedEx Ship Manager® Server.
Integrate the FedEx services you need
To make sure we can meet your business needs, we’re offering FedEx Web Services at two levels.
- Standard services are available for general use and do not require certification.
- Advanced services are available for proprietary developers and will require certification prior to production launch.
Both Web services levels offer sample code in Java, C#, C++, VB.Net and PHP programming languages.
To find out which level is right for your business, refer to the following charts: