|Packing Requirements for FedEx Express® Freight Shipments
Help keep your shipment on schedule by following these guidelines for securing your cargo.
As of May 1, 2011, new packing guidelines apply to any single-piece freight shipment greater than 150 lbs. To minimize the possibility of damage or delay, please follow these guidelines:
- Band all single-piece cargo greater than 150 lbs. on all four sides to a skid with heavy-duty metal or break-resistant plastic banding. This includes crates and skidded cargo.
- If your cargo is a single piece contained within a hardened container (plywood, metal) and is greater than 150 lbs., it doesn't require banding if exterior locks or clamps are used (but glue, nails and screws are not sufficient).
Freight not received as detailed above may be opened and inspected prior to loading on aircraft, resulting in increased potential for delays or damage.
These guidelines apply to the following FedEx Express Freight services:
- FedEx First Overnight® Freight
- FedEx 1Day® Freight
- FedEx 2Day® Freight
- FedEx 3Day® Freight
- FedEx International Priority® Freight
- FedEx International Economy® Freight
- FedEx International Premium®
- FedEx International Express Freight®
- FedEx International Airport-to-AirportSM
Noncompliant shipments made via the following FedEx Express Freight services will be subject to an Extra Services Charge:
- FedEx First Overnight Freight
- FedEx 1Day Freight
- FedEx 2Day Freight
- FedEx 3Day Freight
Go to Freight Services on fedex.com for information on reliable delivery of U.S. and international freight shipments.
More from FedEx Updates
Find additional tips and tricks to improve your FedEx experience on FedEx Updates.