|How to Reroute Your Package in Transit
The delivery address on the package you sent via FedEx® has changed. What do you do?
When your shipment unexpectedly switches directions and needs to be sent to a different address, we'll accommodate it quickly and efficiently. For a small handling fee you can request to have that FedEx Express® package rerouted to a new address in the same city and state — even while it's en route to the original destination.
Or, take advantage of our Hold at FedEx Location option for your FedEx Ground® or FedEx Home Delivery® shipments. With this service, you can reroute the package to an eligible FedEx Office location in the delivery area of the original destination address, where the recipient can pick up the package when it's convenient.
Here's how to reroute your FedEx Express shipment to a different address in the same city as what appears on the original shipping label:
- Call 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339.
- Provide the customer service representative with the following information:
- FedEx account number
- FedEx tracking or door-tag number
- New destination address
- Valid telephone number for the recipient
Hold at FedEx Location
If the recipient prefers to pick up the package, often before a first delivery attempt, rather than have it delivered, you or the recipient can request to reroute a FedEx Express, FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery shipment to eligible FedEx Office locations that offer Hold at FedEx Location service.1 Check for FedEx Office locations and business hours in the recipient's ZIP code area.
Here's how it works:
- To request to have your shipment redirected to an eligible FedEx location before the first delivery attempt or after you receive a door tag, go to fedex.com and enter the tracking number in the Track box.
- Select Hold at FedEx Location and choose an eligible location in your area.
- Or call 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339 and request a hold-at-location delivery.
You can also change a hold-at-location instruction to a courier delivery. There are no additional charges for either of these services.
Some shipments may not be redirected, such as:
- Materials classified as dangerous goods.
- Shipments with the Adult Signature Required option selected.
- Previously rerouted shipments. Only one address change request is allowed per package.
- Shipments that list a city different from the original destination.
For exceptions on the money-back guarantee policy for rerouted shipments, go to page 128 of the FedEx Service Guide.
Check page 128 of the Service Guide to learn more about rerouting your shipment and page 113 for information on fees.
More from FedEx Updates
Find additional tips and tricks to improve your FedEx experience on FedEx Updates.
1FedEx Express shipments can also be held at eligible FedEx World Service Center® locations.