Printer-Friendly Learn About Our Corporate Sustainability Goals
The new 2009 FedEx Global Citizenship Report outlines our progress toward key sustainability benchmarks — such as reducing emissions, increasing fuel efficiency and exceeding renewable energy goals — and introduces our EarthSmart initiative, so you can make an informed decision about your shipping and business-services provider.
If you're interested in aligning with business partners and vendors that share your commitment to the environment, the recently released 2009 FedEx Global Citizenship Report delivers important news. In particular, this year's report demonstrates that FedEx has taken steps toward - or reached - key milestones in areas such as reduced aircraft and vehicle fuel consumption, and increasing renewable energy credits.
Key findings in this year’s report include:
- We advanced our goal to reduce aircraft emissions 20 percent by 2020, achieving an 8.33 percent reduction against the 2005 baseline.
- With an increase to 14.1 percent in vehicle fuel efficiency since 2005, we are more than halfway to our goal of improving vehicle fleet efficiency by 20 percent by 2020.
- We exceeded our fiscal year 2008 goal of procuring 25,000 megawatt-hours of renewable energy credits, while continuing to install solar-electric systems, with a current capacity of 3.92 megawatts.
What this means for you is that by choosing FedEx, you’re choosing a global shipping provider that is continuing to take measurable steps toward minimizing its impact on the environment.
At FedEx, we have a simple goal: to connect the world in responsible and resourceful ways. We've organized our efforts to achieve that goal into a program we call EarthSmart. The program is focused on three pillars:
- EarthSmart Solutions was developed in collaboration with Esty Environmental Partners, a leading sustainability strategy consulting firm. It is our commitment that, based on strict, quantifiable standards, any FedEx product, service or physical asset — including our planes, trucks and facilities — that has been designated an EarthSmart Solution, goes beyond normal industry practices to demonstrate clear and tangible benefits, not only to our business, but also to the environment, our customers, team members and the communities in which we operate.
- EarthSmart @ Work engages our team members to improve sustainability practices in the workplace and to make significant contributions to the environmental sustainability of our business.
- EarthSmart Outreach focuses on giving back to the environment through philanthropic and volunteer opportunities that support sustainability and environmental stewardship.
Visit the FedEx Global Citizenship blog
You can read the FedEx Global Citizenship Report and learn much more about our EarthSmart initiative at blog.fedex.com.