- City and state/province or ZIP or postal code
- Provides street level address matches.
- Contains a database of company listings to improve your results (not all companies are listed).
- Receives monthly updates to its address database.
- Checks addresses within the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Canada.
- Distinguishes between business and residential addresses if an exact match is found. (United States addresses only).
- Does not currently verify suite or apartment numbers.
- Does not match addresses based upon individual or personal names, but can check an address by matching company names that correspond to street addresses.
- Checks if the street exists in the city and state/province entered, or in the ZIP or postal code entered.
- Checks if the street number is within a valid range for the street entered.
- Provides an exact match (or possible alternatives) based upon the street number, street name, city, state/province and ZIP or postal code entered.
- Informs you if no possible alternatives can be found based upon the street number, street name, city, state/province, and ZIP or postal code entered.
- Use correct spacing: Make sure spaces are placed correctly, and avoid unnecessary spaces.
- Use correct spelling: Avoid any spelling and typographical errors. Also, make sure you have the correct usage of the number zero (0) and letter O.
- Avoid special characters: Please refrain from using special characters not required for the address, such as periods after abbreviations (Ave vs. Ave.).
- Provide additional address and Street Information: - By providing additional address information, you can increase the accuracy of address results.
- Building or House number - 1, 1A, 1½, One
- Street Name - Main, George Washington, 42nd
- Street Suffix - Road, Avenue, Rd, Ave
- Enter city, state/province and ZIP or postal code: Providing all three will increase the accuracy of your address results. The +4 portion of the ZIP Code is not necessary to check an address.
- Enter street and address in order: Street address elements usually follow a format starting with the building or house number followed by a pre-directional element, a street name, street type or suffix, a post-directional element, apartment designation, apartment number and/or private mail box designation and number.
- Different orders as well as language differences apply to addresses in Puerto Rico.
- For more information, please see Differences Between Addresses in English and Spanish.
- Use correct abbreviations: The U.S. Postal Service and Canada Post has standard abbreviations for state/province, street suffix and apartment or unit designations.
- A non-standard abbreviation may cause poor search results.
- If you are unsure about an abbreviation, do not use it.
- Company: Entering a company name may improve your results.
- Some addresses have specific company names assigned to them.
- By entering the company name, FedEx Address Checker can search for that company and the address.
- Multiple address results: You will receive multiple address results when an exact match was not found.
- You should confirm an address for accuracy before using it to ship a package.
- To narrow your results, you can provide more specific address information and check the address again.
- The difference between addresses in English and Spanish: The Spanish representation of an address can differ significantly from English in the spelling and order, and additional information may be required. Other considerations for addresses in Puerto Rico include:
- U.S. Example:
651 Roosevelt St
San Juan PR
- Puerto Rico Example:
651 Callejón Roosevelt
San Juan PR
- Common Spanish address translations and abbreviations:
- Apartamento = Apartment
- Avenida = Avenue
- Calle = Street
- Callejón = Street
- Cond = Condominium
- Piso = Floor
- Sr = Mr.
- Sra = Mrs.
- Srta = Miss
- Urbanization - An urbanization name denotes an area, sector, or residential development within a geographic area. This descriptor, commonly used in urban areas of Puerto Rico, is an important part of the addressing format as it describes the location of a given street.
- Examples 1:
Sr Osiris Gonzáles
Urb Royal Oak
123 Calle 1
Bayamón PR 00961-0123
- Example 2:
Sr Pedro Rivera
123 Calle 1
Bayamón PR 00961-1212