Countdown to Opening Day
You’ve picked a name, acquired licenses and pulled permits. Purchased furniture and equipment. Created a letterhead and printed business cards. And now, it’s finally happening.
To help ensure that you’re ready for a successful business launch, here is a short checklist of recommended “must do” tasks and tips:
- Create a grand opening banner to hang outside your location. If you have a storefront location, grab the attention of potential customers with a huge banner hung high on your storefront. Then, use posters and indoor banners to invite customers inside and build excitement around grand opening promotions.
- Use an incentive to generate customers and build a marketing list. Invite visitors to your location to enter a prize drawing. By having visitors complete an entry form, you are able to capture their names, addresses and emails. This information can be used to build a database of customers and prospective customers, which is essential for the success of future marketing campaigns.
- Print and mail announcements to homes and/or businesses in your area. As a new business serving your community, reach out to every home or business in your local area through a simple mailing announcing your opening. Use the mailing to generate immediate business by enclosing a coupon for a discount, bonus services or free gift to those who do business with you before a certain date.
- Print flyers to be placed on cars or handed out to passersby. Use colorful, attention-getting flyers to spread the news of your opening around your neighborhood. As with your announcements, it’s a good idea to include a coupon for a discount, bonus services or a free gift offer on the flyers. A special offer with a deadline encourages people to visit or call and become a new customer.
- Place advertising announcements in local publications and online. Alert your area and the target market for your business by placing ads in local newspapers and/or special interest newspapers. Don’t forget to ask your friends and family to help spread the word, both offline and online via email and social media channels.
- Put a magnetic sign on your car, truck and other business vehicles. A magnetic sign safely placed on the side of your vehicle is a great way to spread the word about your business, everywhere you go.
- Co-op with nearby businesses to enhance your advertising. Contact neighboring businesses and ask if you can place your flyer or coupon in their locations, and offer to do the same for them. Cross-promotions are an affordable way to spread the word about your business. This is a great option for your grand opening and ongoing exposure.
- Create brochures that sell your services. An informational brochure is a great way to remind prospective clients or customers to call you. Brochures are easy to mail out to households or businesses in your area and to people who inquire about your services. Hand them out at your location, as well as at conferences and trade shows.
Making a big splash when you open your business can help your business be a big success for years to come.