To help you navigate through this section, click on the following links:
Overview of FedEx Return Manager
FedEx Return Manager is an Internet application that connects you directly to the FedEx® dispatch and tracking system. You can schedule a dispatch for a FedEx pickup at your customer's location for today or the next business day. When FedEx ExpressTag® or FedEx Ground Call Tag within FedEx Return Manager is selected to obtain the appropriate shipping document, the FedEx driver provides the return shipping label and receipt for your customer. You can also choose to transmit the shipping label to your customer electronically via the Internet. Your customer can print out the label, affix it to the package and drop it off, schedule a pickup, or ship it with the regularly scheduled FedEx pickups. With all shipping documents (FedEx ExpressTag, FedEx Ground Call Tag, and FedEx Online Label), all shipment information including a bar coded shipper reference number is transmitted electronically to appear on the label.
Traditional return processes are inefficient, costly to maintain, involve long cycle times, and are difficult to track. With FedEx Return Manager, you gain better control over the return of merchandise, while increasing service levels to your customers—all in an efficient and timely manner using the services of FedEx. FedEx Return Manager automatically tracks all information about each shipment and integrates all of your merchandise return needs into one system.
To use FedEx Return Manager, you must have the following minimum hardware and software requirements:
The response time of the FedEx Return Manager system depends on any of the following factors:
- A connection to the Internet through an Internet provider
- A secured Internet browser which supports SSL and Java (i.e., Netscape® Navigator 4.0+ [except Netscape® Navigator 6.0] or Microsoft® Internet Explorer 4.0+)
||See the table below for the recommended browser settings for using FedEx Return Manager on the Internet.
- A 28.8 baud modem is recommended. (An ISDN or T1 line will greatly increase the speed of the system.)
- CPU speed
- Speed of the Internet connection
- Number of systems on your network
FedEx Account Number
In addition to the system requirements, you must have a valid FedEx Account Number to use FedEx Return Manager. This account number must be FedEx® Ground enabled if you want to use FedEx Ground shipping with FedEx Return Manager. This account number is exclusively for FedEx Return Manager.
FedEx Return Manager Login ID and Password
You must have a valid FedEx Login ID and Password set up by your FedEx account representative. Each user should have a valid FedEx Login ID and Password.
FedEx Return Manager has several online assistance features:
- Online Help is available by clicking on any word on-screen that is underlined and highlighted. The information displays in a window while the original FedEx Return Manager screen remains in the background. After viewing the online help, click to close the window to return to the FedEx Return Manager screen.
- FedEx Return Manager User Guide displays when you click Help on the navigator bar. The information displays in a popup window while the original FedEx Return Manager screen remains in the background. After viewing the FedEx Return Manager Help, click to close the window to return to the FedEx Return Manager screen.
- Click Contact Us on the navigator bar to send a free-form e-mail message to the FedEx Return Manager project team or call 1.877.339.2774 for FedEx Return Manager assistance.
Why Use FedEx Return Manager?
Use FedEx Return Manager to electronically schedule and monitor pickup shipments via the Internet. The system provides a simple, convenient, paperless method to handle return merchandise. Use FedEx Return Manager to automate and streamline your processes for
- Upgrades or repairs
- Expired leases
- Warranty or out-of-warranty returns
- Advance exchanges
FedEx Return Manager is designed to help companies reduce return cycle times, lower administrative costs, and increase customer service levels through automation.
Features of FedEx Return Manager
Besides providing a simple, convenient, and cost-effective method of having merchandise returned, FedEx Return Manager offers the following features and benefits:
- Advance Exchange Tracking—Advance exchange involves the delivery of replacement merchandise in advance of the return merchandise being sent back to you. When the replacement unit is received, your customer must return the defective merchandise. With FedEx Return Manager, the system automatically tracks the outbound and the return shipment. When the follow-up feature is activated, FedEx Return Manager automatically identifies any outstanding return shipments.
- Automatic RMA Number Generation—If this feature is activated, FedEx Return Manager automatically generates a new, unique RMA (Return Material Authorization) number whenever a new order is entered.
- Bar-coded Shipper Reference Number—When FedEx ExpressTag is selected as the shipping document, a reference number displays on the shipping label in both barcode and human-readable characters. Any number, including your RMA number, can be printed on the label.
- Customer Email Notification—FedEx Return Manager provides the customer with an email notification feature to notify the customer about specific instructions for returning the product. Using the email notification feature helps to (1) improve customer compliance; (2) reduce the number of customer inquiries, and (3) help ensure the right packages are picked up by the FedEx driver.
- Customer Fax Notification—FedEx Return Manager provides the customer fax notification feature as a way to notify the customer about specific instructions for returning the product. The fax also provides required shipment information for the FedEx driver. Using the fax notification feature helps to (1) improve customer compliance; (2) reduce the number of customer inquiries, and (3) help ensure the right packages are picked up by the FedEx driver.
- Customized Reports and Follow-up—FedEx Return Manager allows you to create a report to meet your specific reporting needs. You may use the sort function to view specific records by date or by a particular user ID.
- Delivery Location Database Storage—FedEx Return Manager stores your return locations in a database. This eliminates the rekeying of return addresses for your regular return locations.
- Download—With this feature, you can create and retrieve a data file of all FedEx Return Manager activity. The information is downloaded to your computer from the FedEx network and can be accessed using software programs such as Microsoft® Excel or Microsoft® Access.
- FedEx ExpressTag—A paperless process that electronically transmits all shipment information directly to the FedEx driver. The driver prints the return shipping label with a bar-coded shipper reference number (including your Return Material Authorization number) and receipt for your customer at the time of pickup.
- FedEx Ground Call Tag—A paperless process that electronically transmits all shipment information directly to the FedEx Ground terminal. The terminal prints out the FedEx Ground Call Tag label and distributes it to the FedEx driver, who arrives at the pickup location and affixes it to the return shipment.
- FedEx Online Label—Electronically transmits the return label to your customer via the Internet. Your customer prints the label on a laser printer and either drops off the package, schedules a pickup, or has the package picked up with the regularly scheduled FedEx pickup.
- Follow-up—If this feature is activated, FedEx Return Manager automatically identifies outstanding/open RMAs that require follow-up action. The follow-up feature is activated in your system profile during the initial setup by your FedEx representative.
- Future Pickup—When scheduling a future-day pickup, all information about the Return Material Authorization (RMA) number is saved in a preauthorized format in the FedEx Return Manager database until you enter a valid dispatch for the same business day or the next business day.
- HotLinks—FedEx Return Manager has direct links to the FedEx Drop-off Locator and FedEx Tracking page on the Internet. With the Drop-off Locator, you can find the closest FedEx drop-off location for your customer and print directions and a map to that location. The links to FedEx Tracking allow you to automatically retrieve the latest scan information on any FedEx Tracking Number.
- Manual Close—This feature allows you to manually close orders which have not been cancelled, delivered, or closed by any other method.
- Online Dispatch—You can dispatch a FedEx ExpressTag or air waybill pickup online for same business day or next business day service. You can dispatch a FedEx Ground Call Tag pickup for up to 10 business days in advance.
- RMA Information—You can choose for the RMA number to appear as default on the return shipping label. It will always appear in human readable characters on the FedEx ExpressTag label.
- Security—FedEx Return Manager uses secured transaction protocols via encryption. It is the user's responsibility to maintain the security of their own user ID and password.
- Tracking—FedEx Return Manager automatically tracks all return shipments made via a FedEx ExpressTag, FedEx® Express or FedEx Ground Online Label, air waybill, billable stamp, or FedEx Ground Call Tag. With tracking, you receive information about the RMA pickup, including whether the customer has shipped the package and any scans related to that package. (See Section 10 — Appendix). For ad hoc tracking, click on Track at the top of any page to retrieve the latest shipment information.
- Zip Inquiry—With the Zip Inquiry feature, FedEx Return Manager will show the basic information about the Zip Code before processing the order (i.e., Local Time, Access Time, Cutoff Time, ExpressTag availability, city, and state).
How to Start FedEx Return Manager
To start FedEx Return Manager, you must first log onto the Internet. Follow these steps to begin using FedEx Return Manager.
- Access the Internet in your usual manner. To log onto FedEx Return Manager, use the URL address https://www.fedex.com/rms.
||Remember these points when entering the FedEx Return Manager URL address on the Internet:
- The URL address is case sensitive.
- The URL address for FedEx Return Manager contains an "s" in the http (hypertext transfer protocol) section because it is a secured site on the Internet (i.e., https). If you use other URL addresses after using FedEx Return Manager, you must delete the "s" in the URL address.
- When the FedEx Return Manager login page displays, enter your login ID and password. Click Login.
||Each user should have a valid FedEx Login ID and Password.
How to Change Your FedEx Login ID and Password
To change your password, follow these steps:
- Enter your current Login ID and Password in the fields provided on the Login Screen.
- Enter the new password in the next 2 fields.
- Click Change Password.
||Passwords must be between 8-15 characters long and must contain at least 1 of the following characters: ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ).
The FedEx Return Manager system provides pertinent information in the Errors/Warnings/Information section located at the bottom of each screen. See Section 9 — Appendix for a list of system/error messages.
The next screen displays your company information and the main FedEx Return Manager navigator bar. From this screen you may select from the following items (details can be found in the respective sections):
Limits of Liability/Disclaimer of Warranty
Use of FedEx Return Manager and this online user guide is provided pursuant to the terms and conditions of the FedEx Return Manager license. No warranties or representations regarding the performance of the software, contents of this online user guide, or files distributed with this online user guide are extended by this online user guide. For warranty information, please review the FedEx Return Manager license contained in the software.
FedEx reserves the right to make any changes to this product and to revise the information about the product contained in this online user guide without an obligation to notify any persons about such revisions or changes.
Trademarks and Service Marks
The trademarks and service marks owned by Federal Express Corporation can be viewed by accessing fedex.com and entering "trademarks" in the Search field. All rights reserved.
1997-2010, FedEx. All rights reserved.