7 eco-friendly packaging tips for small businesses
Keep your environmental footprint small with these tips:
1. Opt for an environmentally friendly recycled box or envelope.
- Look for boxes and envelopes that are reusable, recyclable, and sustainable.
- Use a box that came from sustainably managed forests – these types of boxes are considered Forestry Stewardship Counsel (FSC) certified.
- Check the percentage of recycled content used in the box. Many recycled boxes will have the percentage on the packaging.
2. Use eco-friendly and biodegradable filling materials.
Make sure you opt for biodegradable filler, such as starch-based materials, inflatables made of recycled plastics, or corrugated inserts.
3. Consider the size of the box you are using and downsize if possible.
Shipping a smaller box takes up less space when it comes to the delivery method and materials, decreasing the overall carbon footprint.
4. Schedule a pickup.
Because the delivery trucks are already out and about, it’s more eco-friendly than driving to drop off the package yourself.
5. Avoid over-stuffing your package.
While it's important to protect your product, only use a necessary amount of filling material.
6. Don’t throw away unused packing materials.
Try to find ways to use your leftover materials, or recycle any you don’t end up using.
7. Optimize for dim weight.
Right-sizing your packaging for your products will ensure you’re not using more materials than necessary. Optimizing dim weight can save time and reduce costs.