As well as improving efficiencies in our vehicle and aircraft fleet we are also focusing our efforts on incorporating renewable energy at our facilities, providing alternative solutions for our customers, working to discover new technologies and advocating for sound public policy.
Environmental Policy Statement
FedEx recognizes that the long-term health of our business is directly connected to the health of the planet and local communities. We remain focused on sourcing environmental solutions that will lessen our footprint, while serving as an example to our peers. As part of our ongoing efforts, FedEx focuses on the following initiatives:
- Commitment to a continual improvement process in environmental management.
- Evaluation of environmental impacts of FedEx packaging products, operations and facilities with a commitment to minimize impacts and restore properties affected by our operations.
- Improvement of employee environmental performance through detailed policies and procedures, training and recognition of excellence.
- Efficient use of natural resources to minimize waste generation through efforts that include recycling, innovation and prevention of pollution.
- Measurement of environmental performance by use of a framework to set and review objectives and targets, audit progress, sanction employee accountability and report to senior management and external stakeholders.
- Integration of environmental responsibilities and considerations into daily operations and business decision-making processes.
- Participation in the development of sound environmental policy within the transportation and business sectors.
- Commitment to emergency preparedness and response in order to minimize any potential environmental impacts resulting from day-to-day operations.
- Use of innovations and technologies to minimize atmospheric emissions and noise.
- Promotion of effective environmental management by our suppliers and contractors.
- Compliance with all applicable environmental laws and regulations.
- The promotion of awareness regarding environmental policies for employees and the public.
Alongside our own environmental targets, FedEx also works to offer carbon-reducing solutions for our customers and supply chain. Under the EarthSmart umbrella, FedEx Express was the first global express transportation company to offer customers a carbon-neutral envelope shipping program at no extra charge - offsetting carbon emissions generated from shipment of branded FedEx envelopes since 2012. In FY16, FedEx Express shipped over 190,000,000 carbon neutral envelopes, offsetting almost 75,000 metric tons CO2e. Since the program began, it has cumulatively offset 342,000 metric tons CO2e.
Optimising our packaging solutions helps reduce not only our own carbon footprint but that of our customers. In FY16 our Packaging Services Planning & Engineering group worked on 11 right-size packaging projects to help our customers select responsible packaging solutions for their products.