Frequently Asked Questions About FedEx Rate Changes
The most commonly asked questions about FedEx shipping rates, including 2016 rate changes and calculation of shipping costs, are answered here. Don't see the answer you're looking for? Go to the Customer Support section of fedex.com for more FAQs and contact information.
FedEx Shipping Rates and Rate Changes
Why is FedEx making a change to the Additional Handling Surcharge for FedEx Ground® packages?
FedEx is making this change due to an increase in shipping of larger, non-traditional items. These larger, non-traditional items typically require manual sortation, additional personnel, or other special handling. This change will allow FedEx Ground to properly price these shipments to ensure our network continues to operate efficiently.
Why are my shipping rates changing?
For a shipping company, the cost of doing business — fuel prices, the cost of updating or replacing equipment and vehicles, and more — makes it necessary for us to periodically evaluate our shipping rates, surcharges and fees. We make adjustments to enable us to keep investing in our business and ensure that we continue to deliver the shipping solutions and service excellence you have come to expect from FedEx.
What services are affected by the rate change?
- FedEx Express package and freight rates increased for U.S., U.S. export and U.S. import services.
- FedEx Ground, FedEx Home Delivery® and FedEx SmartPost® rates changed.
- FedEx Freight rates changed.
- FedEx® Retail Rates changed.
- FedEx One Rate® pricing changed.
- There are some changes to surcharges, fees and additional service charges as well.
What is the Ground Unauthorized Package Charge and why is it increasing earlier than the other changes?
This charge is added to packages that measure too large or too heavy for the FedEx Ground network. It increased in November to help ensure oversize packages accepted by FedEx Ground were properly priced ahead of our peak shipping season, and that our FedEx Ground network operated efficiently during our busiest time of the year and beyond.
For what FedEx Freight® shipments does the rate change apply?
This rate change applies to the following eligible FedEx Freight® shipments:
- Within the U.S. (including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands).
- Between the contiguous U.S. and Canada.
- Within Canada.
- Between the contiguous U.S. and Mexico.
- Within Mexico.
For FedEx Freight, what are the “other related series base rates” referred to in the press release?
- FedEx Freight Canada (FXFC 1100).
- FedEx Freight Mexico Door-to-Door.
- Commodity rates, such as pallet, volume or truckload (FXF 9200 Tariff series).
- FedEx Freight Mexico IMS (Intra Mexico Shipment).
- Offshore (includes FXF 300, FXF 303, FXF 352 and FXF 370 series).
When do the rate, surcharge and fee changes take effect?
All new rate, surcharge and fee changes took effect on Monday, Jan. 4, 2016, unless otherwise noted.
Where can I find my 2016 shipping rates?
- To calculate 2016 FedEx Express, FedEx Ground and FedEx Freight shipping costs, you can use our Rate Tools application. Additionally, you can download the Jan. 4, 2016, FedEx Service Guide.
- FedEx® Retail Rates are available on our Rate Tools application.
- View 2016 FedEx Express, FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery® rates.
- View 2016 FedEx SameDay® rates.
- View 2016 FedEx One Rate® pricing.
- View 2016 FedEx Ground Multiweight® rates.
- View FXF 1000 U.S. and Canada rates.
- View FXF 501 U.S. and Canada rates.
- View the 2016 FedEx Freight Optional and Additional Services quicksheet.
How do I determine when surcharges and fees apply?
You can find FedEx Express and FedEx Ground surcharge and fee information in the Fees and Other Shipping Information section of the Jan. 4, 2016, FedEx Service Guide. For FedEx Freight, you can view the 2016 FedEx Freight Optional and Additional Services quicksheet, which contains the most commonly used services. For a complete list of all updated optional and additional services, you can download the FedEx Freight 100 Series Rules Tariff. You can also view the updated FedEx Freight 100 Series Rules Tariff at fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/fxfrulestariff.html.
How is the fuel surcharge determined?
Go to our Fuel Surcharges page for information about FedEx Express, FedEx Ground and FedEx Freight fuel surcharges.
How can I view shipping rates for different FedEx® services or get a 2016 FedEx rate quote?
There are several resources you can use to compare rates for different FedEx services:
Where can I find FedEx rate tools?
You can go to our Rate Tools application to calculate your FedEx shipping costs.
How can I get a 2016 FedEx Service Guide?
Where can I find the 2016 FedEx Freight 100 Series Rules Tariff?
You can download the FedEx Freight 100 Series Rules Tariff. You can also view the updated FedEx Freight 100 Series Rules Tariff at fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/fxfrulestariff.html.
How do electronic shipping solutions support the rate change?
FedEx Express and FedEx Ground rate changes will be available to all users of FedEx Ship Manager® at fedex.com, FedEx Web Services (web integrated solutions) and FedEx Ship Manager® API.
FedEx Express rates will be downloaded to all versions of FedEx Ship Manager hardware and software and FedEx Ship Manager® Server on or after Jan. 4, 2016.
FedEx Ground rates will be downloaded to specific versions of FedEx Ship Manager hardware and software and FedEx Ship Manager Server on or after Jan. 4, 2016.
FedEx Freight rate changes will be available to all users of FedEx Ship Manager at fedex.com.
FedEx Freight rates will be available to specific versions of FedEx Ship Manager hardware and software, FedEx Ship Manager Server and FedEx Web Services (web integrated solutions), and FedEx Ship Manager API.
For details on supported versions of the software updates, see the FedEx Ship Manager hardware and software update page on fedex.com.