FedEx Privacy Notice
Last update: November 6, 2020
Your trust matters to us. That is why we protect your information and use it responsibly, while continuing to deliver the excellent service you expect from FedEx. We are committed to protecting your privacy and the security of your personal data. We have created this Privacy Notice to explain how FedEx collects and uses personal data.
“Personal Data” is any information that can directly or indirectly be used to identify a natural person.
To improve communications and enhance your experience.
We collect information when you visit our websites or stores, use our mobile apps, or view our advertisements.
We only share with companies that have agreed to the appropriate security and confidentiality requirements.
We offer you the ability to manage what types of communications you receive from us, and your preferences.
This Privacy Notice applies to you if you are a customer of FedEx, a recipient of a package delivered by FedEx, a supplier of FedEx, or if you contact FedEx, for instance, by visiting the FedEx website including any (sub)pages and mobile apps (hereafter “Websites”), using social media or if you receive emails from FedEx.
Our Websites are for a general audience and not aimed at children. In principle, we do not collect Personal Data from children under age 16. If you are under the age of 16 and you want to use our services, please rely on a parent or guardian to assist you. If a child under the age of 16 may have disclosed Personal Data to us, the parent or guardian can contact us at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will remove Personal Data if required.
Personal Data shall be collected, used, stored or otherwise processed when necessary within the framework of responsible, efficient and effective business management of FedEx. FedEx processes Personal Data based on applicable legal ground(s). The legal ground is often intrinsically linked to the business purpose. This means, for example, that the performance of an agreement can be both a legal ground and a business purpose for FedEx. Therefore, we will first clarify the legal ground(s) on which FedEx processes your Personal Data and, subsequently, the business purpose(s) that we use your Personal Data for:
In general, FedEx processes your Personal Data based on one of the following legal grounds:
- The processing is necessary to perform an agreement between you and FedEx,
- The processing is necessary for us to comply with our legal obligations,
- The processing is necessary to protect your vital interests or those of other individuals,
- The processing is necessary for the legitimate interests of FedEx, except where such interests are overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms, or
- Where appropriate and required, we will ask for your consent.
FedEx shall only collect, use or otherwise process Personal Data if the processing falls within the scope of one (or more) of the legitimate business purposes listed below:
1. Product development, research and improvement of FedEx products and/or services. FedEx processes Personal Data as necessary for the development and improvement of FedEx products and/or services, research and development (e.g., analyze information related to the shipment and services to improve our services).
2. Performing agreements. This includes shipping services, tracking FedEx services, communication with individuals and other parties regarding services, responding to requests for (further) information, dispute resolution and preparing agreements (e.g., link the shipment tracking number to your account to enable you to follow your shipment).
3. Relationship management and marketing for commercial activities. In general, FedEx processes Personal Data as necessary for the development and improvement of FedEx products and/or services, account management, client services and the performance of (targeted) marketing activities in order to establish a relationship with a client and/or maintaining as well as extending a relationship with a client, business partner or supplier and for performing analyses with respect to Personal Data for statistical and scientific purposes (e.g., deliver advertising, communications and content from us on our sites and those of third parties more specific to your interests).
You can manage your accounts with FedEx through the following:
- Emails: For your email preferences, visit the Email Preference Center.
- Mobile: To opt out for mobile, text STOP to 37473. You can always opt back in by texting YES to the same number.
- Cookies and other technologies: To exercise choices you have for certain cookies, you can generally review your Internet browser settings, typically under the sections "Help" or "Internet Options". If you disable or delete certain cookies in your Internet browser settings, you might not be able to access or use important functions or features of the Websites, and you may be required to re-enter your log-in details.
To learn more about certain cookies used for interest based advertising by third parties, including through cross-device tracking, and to exercise certain choices regarding such cookies, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance, Network Advertising Initiative, Digital Advertising Alliance-Canada, European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance or your device settings.
4. Business process execution, internal management and management reporting. This includes addressing activities such as managing company assets, conducting internal audits and investigations, finance and accounting, implementing business controls, provision of central processing facilities for efficiency purposes, managing mergers, acquisitions and divestitures and Processing Personal Data for management reporting and analysis (e.g., conduct investigations into shipping accounts to detect fraud).
5. Safety and security. Personal Data shall be included in the processing for activities such as those involving safety and health, the protection of FedEx and customer, supplier or business partner assets and the authentication of customer, supplier or business partner status and access rights (e.g., provide a safe and secure services for online and offline transactions).
6. Protecting the vital interests of individuals. This includes processing data when necessary to protect your vital interests or those of other individuals (e.g., for urgent medical reasons).
7. Compliance with legal obligations. This addresses the processing of Personal Data as necessary for compliance with laws, regulations and sector specific guidelines to which FedEx is subject (e.g., matching names of clients, suppliers and business partners against denied parties' lists).
In the course of its business activities and providing the services, FedEx may need to process Personal Data. Without your Personal Data, we will not be able to provide you with the requested services. As a rule, the Personal Data that you provide directly or indirectly to FedEx when using our services and visiting our Websites are:
- Contact information. This may include your name, address, email address and phone number;
- Financial information. This may include your bank account number, payment status, and invoices;
- Identification information. This may include your driver’s license number. If you don’t have a driver’s license, another identification method may be used that ensures us that we can identify you, but is the least privacy invasive as possible;
- Account information.This may include log-in details, including your email address, and other information provided through your account;
- User and preference information. This includes – as applicable – shipping amounts, complaints, history of purchases and related commercial activities, communication, survey information, and shopping preferences.
- Automatically generated information. This will include IP address, unique device or user ID, system and browser type, date and time stamps, referring website address, content and pages you accessed on our Websites or mobile apps, dates, times and locations actions take place, websites you visit (if you connect to our in-store wireless services), click-stream information and device location (if you turn on the feature in the mobile app).
In addition to the above categories of Personal Data, depending on your interaction with FedEx, we may collect other types of information which may or may not contain Personal Data. Such information related to shipments and services may include shipment tracking number, shipment routing information, location data, status of a shipment, delivery location, packaging type, number of pieces, weight, picture of the parcel, and customs information.
How long will FedEx process your Personal Data?
We will retain your Personal Data no longer than necessary for the purpose(s) for which we process your Personal Data. After the retention period we will delete or anonymize your Personal Data, unless we need to retain certain of your Personal Data for another purpose. We will only do so if we have a legal ground to retain your Personal Data. We will also ensure that Personal Data are only accessible for that other purpose.
For example, we need your Personal Data to perform the customs clearance process. Customs laws dictate that we have to retain/store - certain of - those Personal Data. Generally, this period varies from 3 to 7 years, depending on the applicable country and customs laws. In those cases, we will only store the Personal Data necessary to meet our legal obligations.
Please contact us using the contact details above if you have questions about specific retention periods.
How does FedEx collect Personal Data?
FedEx collects Personal Data when it is provided by the shipper or account holder or by a visitor to our website. If you are the shipper or account holder, then we receive your Personal Data directly from you. Examples of situations where FedEx collects Personal Data directly are:
- The name, address, and phone number of a person tendering the shipment listed as the shipper.
- The email address or phone number of a person who requests tracking updates for a shipment.
- The name, address, and email of a person who signs up for FedEx Delivery Manager.
- The name, address, payment card information, and account number of a person who opens a FedEx shipping account.
If the shipper or account holder provides Personal Data of others, then we receive that Personal Data indirectly. Examples of situations where FedEx collects Personal Data indirectly are:
- The name, address, and phone number of the recipient of the shipment.
- The email address of a person given by the shipper in order to send tracking notifications.
- Your name and address when you place an order with an online retailer and FedEx delivers the parcel to the address you provide.
When FedEx receives Personal Data indirectly, we rely on the provider of the Personal Data for the accuracy of the information and that the provider has the authority to provide that information to FedEx.
FedEx shares your Personal Data with third parties in the following circumstances:
- With its affiliates, operating groups, subsidiaries and divisions, or with third parties if such is necessary for the purposes as listed above. If appropriate, FedEx will require third parties to conduct activities in a manner consistent with FedEx policies and guidelines in relation to data protection.
- With data processors, i.e., parties such as vendors or service providers processing Personal Data on our behalf. In such cases, these third parties only use your Personal Data for the purposes described above and only in accordance with our instructions. FedEx will only use processors which provide sufficient guarantees to implement appropriate technical and organizational measures and ensure the protection of the rights of data subjects.
- With its employees if and to the extent necessary for the performance of their tasks. In such a case, access will be granted only if and to the extent necessary for the purposes described above and only if the employee is bound by confidentiality.
- If and when required to do so by law, court order, or other legal process, for example, with law enforcement agencies or other governmental agencies, to establish or exercise our legal rights or in connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divesture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
If you reside in California, we are required to provide additional information to you about how we use and disclose your information, and you may have additional rights with regard to how we use your information. We have included this California-specific information below.
Consistent with the "What Personal Data does FedEx collect?" section above, we collect certain categories and specific pieces of information about individuals that are considered "Personal Information" in California. As detailed above, we may collect this Personal Information from you and other third parties. We collect, share and disclose Personal Information for the business and commercial purposes described in the "Why does FedEx process Personal Data?" and "Who has access to your Personal Data?" sections above.
We do not "sell" your Personal Information, as this term is defined under California law. Given the divergent practices of organizations that offer browsers and the lack of a standard in the marketplace, we do not respond to Do Not Track signals at this time.
Should you wish to request the exercise of your other rights as detailed above with regard to your Personal Information, we will not discriminate against you by offering you different pricing, products or services, or by providing you with a different level or quality of products or services, based solely upon this request. Please contact us as described above to exercise such rights.
If you are a California consumer and you wish to exercise your rights as outlined in this section, you may need to provide information such as name and e-mail so that we can verify your identity. We will use the information you provide when exercising your rights for no other purpose other than to verify your identity.
You also have the option of designating an authorized agent to exercise your rights on your behalf. For authorized agents submitting requests on behalf of California residents, please contact us as described above, with any evidence you have that you have been authorized by a California consumer to submit a request on their behalf.
Update to this Privacy Notice
FedEx may update this Privacy Notice from time to time. If an amendment will have a serious impact, FedEx will endeavor to actively inform you about such amendments. FedEx will publish an up-to-date Privacy Notice on the Websites at all times indicating the latest amendments.
When you are using our services in Europe, your Personal Data is controlled by FedEx Express International B.V., having its headquarters in Hoofddorp, The Netherlands. When you are using our services globally, your Personal Data is controlled by FedEx Corporation, having its headquarters in Memphis, Tennessee.
What if I have other questions or complaints?
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the competent (local) data protection or government authority in the jurisdiction where you work, where you live or where an alleged infringement takes place. For individuals in the European Economic Area or Switzerland, the lead supervisory authority for FedEx is the Dutch Data Protection Authority (Dutch DPA), unless the alleged infringement is purely a local matter. Access the listing of the European Data Protection Authorities.
Download Privacy Notice
Download the FedEx Privacy Notice (PDF)
We have compiled a list of the top questions we hear from our customers. If you are looking for more information, check our FAQs.