Pack it right. Ship it right.
Whether you are shipping products to customers or gifts to friends — it's important to know how to properly pack your items, so they arrive safely and intact. Here are some tips and guidelines to help you pack your shipments like a pro:
- Use air-cellular cushioning material, such as Bubble Wrap®, to fill void spaces and prevent movement inside the box.
- Wrap fragile items individually with a minimum 3" (8-cm) thickness of air-cellular cushioning material.
- Wrap individual items, with at least a 2" (5-cm) thickness of air-cellular cushioning or foam material so items fit snugly inside.
- Place items that might be damaged by normal handling, in a protective outer box.
- Pack chipboard boxes, such as gift or shoe boxes, in a corrugated outer box.
- Consolidate small parts or spillable granular products in a strong sealed container, such as burlap or a sift-proof plastic bag before packing in a sturdy outer box.
Apply at least three strips of packaging tape to the top and bottom sides of the container using the H taping method.
Use pressure-sensitive plastic tape, water-activated paper tape (minimum 60-lb. grade) or water-activated reinforced tape that is at least 2" (5 cm) wide.
Place the shipping label with the recipient's full address on the most visible side of the container away from any folds or seams.
Place delivery information inside and outside the package, including an address for your recipient and for yourself.
Do not list a P.O box address for U.S recipients. FedEx Express can ship to a P.O box in certain international locations, including Puerto Rico, but you must provide a valid telephone, fax or telex number.
FedEx Express Supplies
Choose from the following packaging as well as other specialty packaging options (for FedEx Express shipments only).
How to Pack Guides
From general packing guidelines for day-to-day shipments to specific guidelines for specialty items, you'll find it all in our comprehensive packaging guides.
All FedEx packaging is recyclable and 54 percent is made from recycled content. In addition, by using FedEx carbon-neutral envelope shipping for your documents, you're supporting sustainable projects which help neutralize carbon emissions, all at no extra cost to you.
Tyvek® is a registered trademark of DuPont.