What is Shipper's Export Declaration /Electronic Export Information (SED/EEI)?
Known as the SED, the Department of Commerce (Census Bureau) form 7525-V cannot be submitted to the U.S. government after Sept. 30, 2008. The equivalent electronic version, known as the Electronic Export Information (EEI), serves the dual purpose of providing export statistics and export control. The EEI reports all pertinent export data of an international shipment transaction.
When is Electronic Export Information (EEI) required?
The EEI must be filed with shipments from the U.S., Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands to foreign destinations; between the U.S. and Puerto Rico; and from the U.S. or Puerto Rico to the U.S. Virgin Islands, if any of the following applies:
- Shipment of merchandise under the same Schedule B commodity number is valued at more than US$2,500 and is sent from the same exporter to the same recipient on the same day. (Note: Shipments to Canada from the U.S. are exempt from this requirement.)
- The shipment contains merchandise, regardless of value, that requires an export license or permit.
- The merchandise is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), regardless of value.
- The shipment, regardless of value, is being sent to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan or Syria.
- The shipment contains rough diamonds, regardless of value (HTS 7102.10, 7102.21 and 7102.31).
The EEI is not required for shipments from the U.S. to Canada unless the merchandise is subject to ITAR, requires an export license or permit, or is rough diamonds. An EEI is not required for shipments to other U.S. territories (American Samoa, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, Howland Islands and Wake Island) or from the U.S. Virgin Islands to the U.S. or Puerto Rico.
Where can I obtain information regarding EEI requirements?
What are some of the definitions that will help in completing the EEI?
- USPPI EIN (IRS) or ID No. field: U.S. Principal Party in Interest "EIN" is Employer Identification Number (Tax ID) if the shipper is a corporation, or Social Security number if the shipper is an individual.
- Parties to Transaction (Related in AES) field: Indicate whether sender and recipient are subsidiaries or divisions of the same company or are unrelated.
- Transportation Reference No. field: Indicate your FedEx® International Air Waybill number.
- Ultimate Consignee field: "Ultimate consignee" is the end user of merchandise being shipped. Complete this section only if the ultimate consignee differs from the consignee indicated on the FedEx International Air Waybill.
- Country of Ultimate Destination field: the country where the shipment ultimately will be used.
- D/F/ or M (Domestic or Foreign in AES) field: Indicate domestic (made or manufactured in the U.S.) commodity as "D" and foreign (made or manufactured outside the U.S.) commodity as "F."
- Schedule B Number (Commodity Classification Number in AES) field: For the correct Schedule B or Harmonized Code number and units, call the U.S. Census Bureau at 1.800.549.0595, option 2, or go to the U.S. Census Bureau Web site or FedEx ® Global Trade Manager at fedex.com.
- Value field: Value (selling price or cost if not sold) is to be reported here.
- License No./License Exception Symbol/Authorization field (License Number/Citation in AES): To determine whether an export license number or a license exception symbol should be used, call the U.S. Department of Commerce, 1.202.482.4811, or 1.949.660.0144 in Newport Beach, Calif., or go to the Bureau of Industry and Security Web site.
- ECCN field: An Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) is required for any commodity shipped under an export license or license exception symbol (except TMP [temporary export license exception] and most of NLR [no license required]). For more information on the ECCN, contact the Bureau of Industry and Security at 1.202.482.4811 or go to the Bureau of Industry and Security Web site.
Your signature, title and date are required on the bottom of the FedEx Export AgentFile® form, if using the manual fax process. You must provide your user ID and password at AESDirect if filing online.