Tips for Preparing Your International Express Shipment
Correct packaging and labeling can help your shipments arrive on time and in good condition. Our packaging specialists are always ready to help FedEx Express customers with free advice. Just call 1.800.633.7019. We can test your packaging for durability, give you ideas for trimming excess packaging and even help you develop new packaging.
Packaging for Express Packages
- FedEx packages should be larger than 7" x 4" x 2".
- Don’t exceed the weight specifications for the box you’re using.
- Center contents in a sturdy box surrounded by cushioning (bubblewrap, "peanuts" or foam pads).
- Cushion fragile items inside one box, then put them into a larger box with 2" to 3" of cushioning around and inside the inner box.
- Avoid wrapping the outer box with paper.
- Cover sharp or protruding edges with taped, corrugated panels or pads.
- If finishes could be damaged or soiled in transit, place your shipment in a protective container.
- Seal seams and flaps with pressure-sensitive plastic tape. Tape should be at least 2" wide, but preferably 3" wide.
- Never use cellophane tape, masking tape, string or rope.
- Avoid duct tape and kraft-paper tape.
- Use insulation to protect perishables from extreme temperature changes.
- Provide complete sender and recipient addresses, including phone numbers and ZIP codes.
- We cannot ensure compliance with orientation markings such as "Up" arrows or "This End Up." Placing shipping labels on the top surface can increase your chances for preferred orientation.
- FedEx cannot deliver to P.O. boxes within the U.S.
- Include your address and the destination address inside the shipment.
- Use tie-on tags for the FedEx Sleeve, golf bags, skis, tires, etc. Order tie-on tags online at fedex.com or call 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339.
Contract Shipping Requirements
Special shipping requirements accompany the government contract:
- Be sure you have a FedEx Government account number. Go to fedex.com/us/government or call us at 1.800.645.9424.
- Choose the type of service (FedEx International Priority).
- Package your shipment properly.
- Prepare the shipping documents. Using FedEx Ship Manager at fedex.com, you can process packages in 72 countries and ship to more than 200 countries. To prepare air waybills by hand, see page 6 or follow the instructions on the air waybill.
- Ship it fast. We've added FedEx Express Drop Boxes at select Post Office locations nationwide so you can drop off packages right in your neighborhood. FedEx Express shipping supplies are available at FedEx Express Drop Boxes and FedEx World Service Centers. Or, go to " Order Supplies Online" at fedex.com and order using your government account number.