The Kimberley Process – Export and Import of Rough Diamonds
The Kimberley Process (KP) is a multilateral international initiative established in 2003, aimed at preventing the global flow of conflict or ‘blood’ diamonds – rough diamonds used to finance armed conflicts and to undermine legitimate governments. The KP currently includes 55 participants, representing 82 countries, who utilize the Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KPCS) to safeguard the trade of rough diamonds and to certify they are ‘conflict free’.
In Canada, the legislation for the KP falls under the responsibility of Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) and border enforcement is shared between the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).
Importing and Exporting using the KPCS
As per the Export and Import of Rough Diamonds Act, a rough diamond is defined as, “a diamond that is unsorted, unworked or simply sawn, cleaved or bruted, and that falls under subheading 7102.10, 7102.21 or 7102.31 in the List of Tariff Provisions set out in the schedule to the Customs Tariff…”.
The KP requirements do not apply to polished and cut diamonds that are ready to be mounted, set or fitted.
To help prevent potential shipment delays and seizures, please ensure you are following the KPSC importing and exporting guidelines:
- Must be shipped between two current KP participants
- Packaged in a container that is sealed and cannot be opened without showing evidence of tampering or having been opened
- The seal on the container must display the seal number that is listed on the accompanying KPC
- Imports and exports need to be accompanied by a valid Kimberly Process Certificate (KPC) and must be stamped by the CBSA at time of importation or prior to exportation
- The information on the KPC must match with the information provided on the import/export shipping documentation
Please note that in-transit shipments of rough diamonds may also be detained or seized if they are not accompanied by a KPC or if the container/package for the rough diamonds has been opened.
For detailed information on the KPCS and for how to complete and apply for a KPC, please see CBSA Memorandum D19‑6‑4.