The Benefits of a Convenient Returns Solution
In today’s competitive business environment, managing the returns process in a timely, customer-oriented fashion can be a highly strategic way to improve the customer buying experience. In fact, 75 percent of consumers say a simple returns policy is a deciding factor in their shopping behavior.1 A convenient returns solution provides an opportunity for businesses to increase customer retention, minimize the impact of returns on profits, and maximize and extend the value of goods sold.
Why FedEx SmartPost Returns
FedEx SmartPost Returns is an ideal way for businesses with over 20 returns a day to provide customers with a convenient returns method for low-weight residential packages. It's a cost-effective, reliable solution that utilizes the strength of the FedEx® network and all public access points of the U.S. Postal Service® (USPS). In addition, FedEx SmartPost Returns service provides visibility throughout the returns process to your customer service and operations departments, as well as to the return shipper.
Features of Service
Following are some specific details about what convenient features and benefits FedEx SmartPost Returns has to offer.
- A prepaid USPS integrated return shipping label.
- USPS daily pickup options of Monday through Saturday.
- Free package pickup by the USPS from the customer's home or business address.
- No residential or Saturday pickup surcharges.
- Convenient drop-off points, including FedEx and USPS locations, as well as USPS collection boxes and residential mailboxes.
- Coverage to every residential address in the U.S., including APO and FPO destinations.
- Transit times of 2 to 7 business days.
- Maximum package weight of 70 lbs.
- Inbound shipment visibility via FedEx InSight®.
- Customer reports via FedEx® Reporting Online.
- Limit of liability is $100.
1KPMG survey, published by MultiChannel Merchant, June 1, 2008.
FedEx SmartPost Returns Makes It Easy for Your Customers
At FedEx, we know that returns can sometimes be complicated and time-consuming. That's why, when developing FedEx SmartPost Returns, we took customers' major concerns into account and included solutions to meet those concerns. Some of the service features include:
- A prepaid U.S. Postal Service® (USPS)-integrated return shipping label included in the outgoing package. This means your customers don't have to stand in line at a shipping location to obtain the proper documentation and they don't incur any out-of-pocket expenses.
- USPS daily pickup options Monday through Saturday. Whether your customer chooses to drop off their package at a local post office, postal collection box, their own mailbox, or at a FedEx location or chooses to go to www.usps.gov/pickup/ to request a free USPS package pickup at their home or business address, they have all public access points of the USPS at their disposal.
- The strength of the FedEx network ensures reliable returns, giving your customer a faster refund or rebate. The transit time for FedEx SmartPost Returns shipments is 2 to 7 business days.
- Returns shipment visibility via FedEx InSight® provides your customers with an up-to-the-minute view of their return, so they're not spending time calling your customer service department for shipment-status updates.
FedEx SmartPost Returns Makes It Easy for You, Too
By offering convenience, accessibility and visibility at a reasonable cost, we address many challenges of the returns process for you, too.
- A prepaid return label with clearly stated instructions can reduce return-related call center costs by as much as 25 percent.1
- A system that quickly and efficiently cycles returned products back into inventory means faster redeployment into the market generating revenue and reducing the effects of product depreciation.
- The up-to-the-minute view of your inbound return shipments provided by FedEx InSight can help you schedule deliveries or plan labor accordingly. FedEx InSight e-mail notifications provide timely and automatic status information about your incoming FedEx SmartPost Returns packages and includes an estimated delivery date — enabling you to plan accordingly.
The FedEx SmartPost Returns Process
The FedEx SmartPost Returns process is completely integrated, which means you benefit from a streamlined process; less handling of your packages; and faster, more reliable deliveries.
- Step 1: Your customer drops off the package at any USPS access point or FedEx location.2
- Step 2: Your package arrives at the USPS location.3
- Step 3: Your package arrives at the FedEx SmartPost origin hub.
- Step 4: Your package arrives at the FedEx SmartPost destination hub.
- Step 5: Your return location receives the package.
Residential Returns with FedEx SmartPost
Efficient return shipping translates to repeat customers. Watch this video to see how FedEx makes return shipping easy for you and your customers with FedEx SmartPost Returns.
1 MultiChannel Merchant, Jan. 21, 2009.
2 Access points include local post offices, postal collection boxes, mailboxes, mail carriers and free USPS package pickup. FedEx locations include FedEx Office, FedEx Authorized ShipCenter and FedEx World Service Center locations. Must be pre-labeled as a FedEx SmartPost package.
3 USPS locations include Return Delivery Unit and Return Bulk Mail Center.
For more information about FedEx SmartPost Returns, or to get started using this service, contact your FedEx account executive, or call 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339.
FedEx will work directly with you to:
- Review and sign a contract for service.
- Review your operation and develop a rollout plan.
- Establish a U.S. Postal Service® (USPS) Mailer ID.
- Work with you and the USPS to obtain USPS Label Certification.
USPS is registered trademark of the United States Postal Service. © 2011