Frequently Asked Questions during the Holidays
- How do I get started?
Our Shipping Guide explains everything you need to know to ship your holiday packages.
- Does FedEx have the right shipping solution for my packages?
There's a simple FedEx shipping solution for each of your packages.*
You can trust FedEx to make your holiday shipping a priority. FedEx Express® offers the convenience of shipping packages to friends, family and business associates within Canada, to the U.S. and around the world in as little as 1 to 2 business days.
When you have a little more time, choose FedEx Ground® for cost-effective, dependable, on-time delivery between 2 to 7 business days within Canada and to the U.S. They'll love the gift and the fact that you sent it via FedEx.
*Some restrictions apply. See the FedEx Service Guide for details.
- What is the last day that I can ship for delivery before December 25?
- What do I need to know when shipping gifts internationally?
There are many countries that allow duty and/or tax-free entry for gift shipments if the value is less than a specified amount. This amount varies from country to country and, in most countries, the shipment must be sent from an individual to an individual – with no company involvement or indication of involvement on the shipping documentation. Please note that duty and/or tax-free entry is only available for shipments to countries that recognize special-entry status for gift shipments and there is typically a maximum dollar amount. We encourage you to check the destination country's requirements prior to shipping.
The shipping documentation must be clearly marked 'Unsolicited gift - not for resale' and include a detailed description of the item(s). The air waybill must also include a brief description of the contents (e.g., 'Gift shipment of books and men's cotton clothing'). In addition to the general requirements, there are country-specific requirements.
Importations Into Canada
The gift exemption for eligible gifts imported into Canada is CAD$60 or less, per gift, even if a single gift has more than one recipient (e.g., gift to a family). Each gift in the shipment must be clearly identified as one gift. If the gift is worth more than CAD$60, the amount over CAD$60 is subject to duties and taxes (e.g., if a relative sends you a gift worth CAD$200, you must pay any applicable duty plus the GST, HST or QST on CAD$140).
The CAD$60 exemption that's available for gifts cannot be combined with the general CAD$20 exemption that's available on all items.
Importations Into the U.S.
The gift exemption for eligible gifts imported into the U.S. is USD$100 or less, per gift, per recipient. For consolidated gift shipments, the name of each individual receiving a gift, the description of the gift item(s) for each individual, and the value of each item must be shown on the Commercial Invoice. Each gift in the shipment must be clearly identified as one gift. And, the complete name, address and phone number of both the shipper and consignee must be stated on the Commercial Invoice.
If any item exceeds the gift allowance, the entire shipment will be dutiable.
The following items are excluded from the USD$100 gift exemption. Shipments containing these items may be subject to duties and taxes, as well as formal entry requirements.
- Perfumes containing alcohol
- Bath, cosmetic, and beauty products containing antibacterial agents
Non-perishable Food Items and Gift Baskets Containing Non-perishable Food Items
To help reduce customs delays by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the description on the Commercial Invoice must include whether the item is homemade or store-bought (e.g., 'Homemade (or store-bought) chocolate cookies - for personal consumption, not for resale'). For store-bought items, the manufacturer's name and address must be shown on the Commercial Invoice.
If a company name appears on the shipping or customs documentation it is no longer considered a personal shipment. This also applies to shipments that are addressed to or from an individual c/o their company name and address.
Please note that Kinder chocolate eggs are prohibited from import into the U.S.
Importations Into the Rest of the World
In addition to the general requirements, please check the specific requirements for the destination country.
The following items are prohibited from being shipped via FedEx Express International Services:
- Perishable foodstuffs and any food item requiring temperature control
- Alcoholic beverage shipments from an individual to an individual
- Tobacco shipments from an individual to an individual
For more information on shipping restrictions, please call FedEx Customer Service at 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339.
*For a complete list of prohibited items, see the restrictions section of the Terms and Conditions in the FedEx Service Guide.
- How does FedEx respond when affected by winter weather?
All FedEx companies are known for their exceptional planning and the extraordinary lengths to which they will go to serve their customers. For example:
- At FedEx Express®, the Global Operations Control Centre manages the air and ground fleets worldwide and can make routing and operational changes within minutes. The company also employs staff meteorologists who can accurately predict weather changes.
- At FedEx Ground®, Web-based software is used to monitor weather conditions and road closings. With this information at hand, the FedEx Ground team can make quick decisions about changing the routes of trucks and trailers when and where necessary.
- Where can I find more information about FedEx during the holidays?
Please visit the FedEx Newsroom at http://news.van.fedex.com/int/canada.
- Do I have to use FedEx packaging?
No. You can use your own packaging materials. FedEx Express® provides some shipping materials for FedEx Express shipments that are available at no extra charge. Please note that FedEx Express packaging cannot be used to ship FedEx Ground packages. FedEx Ground, like all other ground parcel carriers, depends on shippers to tender their packages packed and ready to be shipped. Learn More
Full-service pack-and-ship services are available at FedEx Office® locations. Simply let one of our packing specialists handle all of your holiday packaging and shipping needs. You will find commonly used sizes of corrugated boxes, padded envelopes, bubble padding and specialty packing supplies to meet all of your packaging needs. Learn More
- Where can I get materials to ship my packages?
In addition to ordering FedEx Express® supplies online, you may also visit any FedEx Office®, FedEx Ship Centre or FedEx Authorized ShipCentre® location to obtain supplies, at no extra charge. To find the location nearest you, click on the Ship menu and then select Find FedEx Locations or call FedEx Customer Service at 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339.
- How should I pack my shipment?
To help get your shipment safely to its destination in the same condition it was sent, please review the following tips on how to pack.
1. CUSHION IT
Choose cushioning of appropriate density and thickness, and use enough to fill all void spaces in your shipping container.
2. BOX IT.
Select an appropriate container that is large enough to accommodate the proper thickness of cushioning material.
3. SEAL IT
Apply at least three strips of packaging tape to the top and bottom sides of the container using the H taping method.
4. LABEL IT
Place the shipping label with the recipient's full address on the most visible side of the container away from any folds or seams.
- How can I find a FedEx shipping location?
There are several ways for you to locate one of our shipping locations across Canada:
- Click on the Ship menu, select Find FedEx Locations and enter the request information to display locations in your area along with a map and business hours.
- Access fedex.ca to find FedEx locations via your web-enabled mobile device. To begin, simply key in ‘m.fedex.ca’.
- Call 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339 and speak to a FedEx Customer Service representative.
Note for FedEx Account Holders:
If you are using preprinted bar-code labels for your FedEx Ground® shipments, make sure you've completed a FedEx Ground Pickup Record before dropping them off at a FedEx Office®, FedEx Ship Centre or FedEx Authorized ShipCentre® location.
- How can I monitor the delivery status of my shipment?
You can get the status of your shipments 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Track at fedex.ca
Obtain information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week about your shipments. Track up to 30 FedEx Express®, FedEx Ground® and FedEx Freight® shipments at a time, and sign up to receive automatic email notifications of critical shipping events.
Track by Desktop
Monitor the status of your shipments and receive proactive notifications right to your desktop.
Track by Mobile
Access up-to-date tracking details directly from your mobile devices.
Track by Email
Get the status of 30 shipments through one email request.
Track by Phone
Call 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339 and say “track a package.”
Obtain Signature Proof of Delivery
You can also request a signature proof of delivery via these tracking tools above – it includes a delivery confirmation and an image of your recipient’s signature via an online letter or fax.
- What if the recipient of my FedEx package receives a door tag?
The FedEx door tag system will notify the recipient that delivery was attempted and it will include instructions on how to retrieve the package.
- What if my package gets damaged or lost?
All claims, including those due to damage or loss, must be made within strict time limits, and in accordance with the Terms and Conditions in the FedEx Service Guide. For more information on our money-back guarantee and claims policies, please call 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339.
- What if I want to return a shipment?
FedEx Return Solutions
- For consumers, check the return policy and process of the merchant. If there is no policy or process, you can use FedEx Express® or FedEx Ground® to return your item. You can simply print a label using FedEx Ship Manager™ at fedex.ca and then drop off your return package at a FedEx shipping location.
- For merchants who want to setup a returns program, FedEx has a comprehensive returns portfolio. You can manage the entire shipping process from pickup to return, using either FedEx Express or FedEx Ground, right from your desktop. Visit fedex.ca/globalreturns or contact your FedEx account executive to determine the best return service for your needs.