Temperature Controlled Packaging
In the healthcare industry, product integrity many require a consistent temperature range during shipping. For keeping specimens cold or protecting pallets from freezing, we have your temperature-controlled packaging solutions.
Keep your temperature-sensitive shipments cold
without breaking a sweat
The Cold Shipping Package provided by FedEx maintains a constant 2-8°C environment for your products — without the hassle of gel packs*.
Advantages of Cold Shipping Package Provided by FedEx
You get reliable performance in a lightweight package that continuously evaporates small quantities of water at low pressure — with up to 96 hours of cooling for your products.*
- Three box sizes: Extra small, small and medium.
- Two cooling duration options: Keep shipments cool up to 48 hours* with our standard unit (available for all three sizes) or up to 96 hours* with our extended duration unit (available in small and medium).
- Constant temperature: Keeps your shipment in a consistent 2°C to 8°C environment.
- Lightweight: Relative to dry ice or gel packs, you'll pay less to ship the unit itself.
- Hassle-free preparation: Simply press a button to start the unit right before you pack it.
- One-time use: Easier to dispose of than gel packs, and with less packaging waste.
- Infectious and non-infectious substance compliance**: Infectious substances require inner packaging.
Hassle-free prep so you can chill out faster
The cold shipping package provided by FedEx gives you sophisticated technology for cold shipping with just a few easy steps:
- Place your order online through the customized, secure fedexcoldshipping.fedex.com web portal.
- FedEx delivers the temperature-controlled packaging to your pickup point.
- Simply load your materials into the container and follow the instructions to activate the packaging. FedEx then picks up the shipment and delivers it.
- The recipient unpacks the materials from the container.
For more information
Contact your FedEx account executive or call the cold shipping hotline at 1.888.817.9993
*Actual cooling duration varies, depending on external temperatures. Some restrictions and conditions apply. For more information and conditions of sale, go to fedexcoldshipping.fedex.com or call 1.888.817.9993.
**For infectious substances, customer must use inner packaging, which meets IATA Packing Instruction 650 for UN3373 only.
Blanket protection for your temperature-sensitive freight
If you need to insulate your pallets of pharmaceuticals, medical devices, computer sensors or other high-value items to help prevent temperature excursions, FedEx has you covered.
The FedEx® thermal blanket solution* (FTBS) is a cost-effective service that includes:
- Reusable thermal blankets designed to help maintain a consistent temperature range for your pallets of freight and provide insulation protection against direct sunlight, rain and humidity
- Pickup and delivery in temperature-controlled vehicles**
- Around-the-clock support, with proactive shipment monitoring, priority boarding on our aircraft and where available, priority clearance handling as well as customized package recovery when necessary.
Ease and simplicity
The FedEx thermal blanket solution is a turn-key service that eliminates the need to purchase thermal blankets or manage returns.
Since the solution is classified as an international tool of trade offered by FedEx, no additional duties or taxes are applied to the thermal blanket.
Consistent temperature range. The FedEx® thermal blanket solution is designed to assist in maintaining a temperature range of 15-25°C1* for large freight2* from pickup to delivery.
Peace of mind. The solution helps provide insulation protection against the following:
- External temperatures (low or high)
- Direct sunlight
Greater shipment monitoring. All shipments include proactive monitoring and coordination to enable enhanced shipment status tracking and help ensure delivery compliance.
FedEx thermal blanket solution is available in the following countries:
- Spain, Sweden
- United States
* Certain terms, conditions and restrictions apply. Contact your FedEx account executive for details or refer to your FTBS agreement.
** Provision of a refrigerated vehicle for pickup and delivery is subject to prior written mutual agreement. Additional charges may apply. Contact your FedEx account executive for details.
1 With allowable variance of plus or minus 5°C
2 Minimum of four skids
FedEx® Clinical Paks
FedEx Express offers packaging specifically designed for the transportation of noninfectious diagnostic specimens and environmental samples, and for properly prepared specimens classified as Biological Substance, Category B (UN 3373).
Packaging Clinical Samples
Instructions for packaging, marking and labelling clinical samples for shipment via FedEx Express services. Download the guide
Packaging UN 3373 Shipments
Instructions for packaging, marking and labelling Biological Substance, Category B (UN 3373) shipments for FedEx Express services. Download the guide