Commercial Invoice (CI)
It is important to ensure that information on all your documents is consistent and accurate, starting with the Commercial Invoice. It is the foundation of all other documents and is the first international shipping document that should be completed. The information provided on other international shipping documents, including the air waybill or shipping label, must correspond with the Commercial Invoice.
What is it?
The Commercial Invoice is prepared by the exporter and is required by the foreign buyer to prove ownership and arrange for payment. FedEx provides separate Commercial Invoices forms for use with FedEx Express® and FedEx Ground® international shipping.
Why is it needed?
It is the primary document used by most foreign customs agencies for import control, valuation, and duty determination.
When is it needed?
The Commercial Invoice is required for all product/commodity (nondocument) shipments for international trade. All FedEx International Ground™ shipments require a Commercial Invoice.
Where can I find it?
- FedEx Ship Manager™ at fedex.ca — automatically generated in the shipping process
- FedEx Document Preparation Centre™ for online completion or PDF download
- FedEx Global Trade Manager® for online completion or PDF download
- FedEx Ship Manager™ Software
- Download the Commercial Invoice for FedEx Express PDF
- Download the Commercial Invoice for FedEx Ground PDF
How do I complete it properly?
- The Commercial Invoice for FedEx Express is only appropriate for international FedEx Express shipments (e.g., FedEx International Priority®). For FedEx International Ground™ shipments, always use the Commercial Invoice for FedEx Ground.
- Always include a copy of your Commercial Invoice INSIDE as well as OUTSIDE the package.
- Always reference the air waybill or tracking number on the Commercial Invoice.
- In order to comply with regulatory requirements, please review the chart below to determine information required for completing the Commercial Invoice.
Commercial Invoice Customs Regulatory Compliance.pdf
Please Note: The numbered items above represent areas of the form that shippers often have questions about or complete inaccurately or incorrectly. You must complete all required fields on your customs documents. You may use business or personal stationery for your Commercial Invoice or you may buy preprinted forms, as long as the required information is included. The Commercial Invoice sample shown is a suggested format only.
*Proper completion of all necessary documentation is the sole responsibility of the shipper. The information, products and services contained or referred to on this website may change or be updated without notice. Additional documentation not provided by this website may be required to clear your international package through Customs. In the event of a conflict between the FedEx service information on this website and the service information contained in the applicable FedEx Service Guide, the applicable FedEx Service Guide will control. FedEx EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. FedEx will not be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages including without limitation damages for lost profits, business, data, or damage to your computer system resulting from any errors in or use of the information and features on the site or shipper's failure to properly complete all required fields on any of the forms described on this website.