Maintaining a specific temperature range throughout the shipping process is essential to the quality of many healthcare products. You can rest assured we handle it all. We offer a portfolio of refrigerated, frozen and perishable shipping solutions for moving your medical shipments in a safe, temperature-controlled environment.
What's New in Temperature-Controlled Shipping and Cold Chain Logistics?
Temperature-controlled shipping is constantly evolving — we bring you the latest news so you can keep pace.
From the FedEx blog: Measuring Up When it Comes to Temperature-Controlled Transportation
From the FedEx blog: Risky Business: Risk management methods used in the healthcare industry
From the FedEx newsroom: FedEx® Breaks Ground on New Temperature Controlled Logistics Facility
From the FedEx newsroom: FedEx® Expands Healthcare Shipping Portfolio With New Cold Shipping Package
FedEx® Temperature-Control Solutions Videos: See how we can answer any temperature-control need.
Temperature-Controlled Shipping Downloads
Whether you need to keep a pallet cool or keep vials deep-frozen for days, we have a packaging solution that fits your need, and worldwide facilities to help keep your shipment cool in transit.
FedEx® Deep Frozen Shipping Solution
Need to safely and cost-effectively ship your high-end, temperature-sensitive biogenetics and biomaterials to destinations around the globe? FedEx has the answer.
The FedEx Deep Frozen Shipping Solution is an end-to-end global solution using liquid nitrogen dry vapor technology, which maintains a temperature of -150° Celsius for up to 10 days.
Unlike dry ice — which is classified as hazardous — this easy-to-use technology eliminates the shipping and handling challenges associated with a dangerous goods classification. Plus, it eliminates the re-icing required with dry ice shipments, and you don't need to buy packaging or equipment. It's a safe and cost-effective way to ship high-value, temperature-sensitive clinical samples, medicines and biomaterials. Download our product overview to learn more. Watch our video to learn how to protect the integrity of your deep frozen shipments.
- Multiple sizes: The standard dry shipper holds approximately 75 1.8- or 2.0-milliliter vials; the large-volume version holds approximately 500 vials.
- Advanced tracking, monitoring and care: With every shipment, you automatically receive the FedEx Priority AlertTM service that provides proactive monitoring and intervention, if needed, from origin to destination.
- Speeds to suit your need: Choose the FedEx Express® service that best suits your domestic or global delivery needs — from urgent to less critical.
The process is simple:
- Place your order online through a customized FedEx portal.
- FedEx provides you with the pre-conditioned container to load your product.
- FedEx delivers the container to its final destination while actively monitoring the shipment and intervening if needed during transit.
- FedEx picks up the container and returns it for refurbishing.
Call 1.888.370.3971 and connect with a customer service representative to learn more.
Take a look at our cost-effective shipping method to maintain extreme cold for biogenic materials and other products.
Cold Shipping Package Provided by FedEx
Keep your sensitive healthcare shipments cold without the weight, hassle and expense of gel packs or dry ice with the FedEx® cold shipping package.
This package is perfect for shipping products from your depots to the most remote clinical trial sites, retrieving specimens back to your central labs or transporting products to hospitals.
It includes a one-time-use chilling unit activated by the shipper and placed in the box with the shipment. The unit continuously evaporates small amounts of water at low pressure, keeping your shipment at 2°C to 8°C for up to 48 or 96 hours*, depending on the packaging option you choose. Download the Cold Shipping Package Overview to learn more.
- Five box sizes: Small standard, medium standard, large standard, medium extended, large extended.
- Two cooling duration options: Keep shipments cool up to 48 hours* with our standard unit (available for all three sizes) or up to 96 hours* with our extended duration unit (available in small and medium).
- Constant temperature: Keeps your shipment in a consistent 2°C to 8°C environment.
- Light weight: Relative to dry ice or gel packs, you'll pay less to ship the unit itself.
- Hassle-free preparation: Simply press a button to start the unit right before you pack it.
- One-time use: Easier to dispose of than gel packs, and with less packaging waste.
- Infectious and non-infectious substance compliance**: Infectious substances require inner packaging.
Frequently Asked Questions
For answers to the most common questions our customers have about the cold shipping package, including international availability, packaging details, and ordering and billing, please download our Cold Shipping Package FAQs.
How it works:
- Place your order online through a customized, secure FedEx web portal.
- FedEx delivers the temperature-controlled packaging to your pickup point.
- Simply load your materials into the container. FedEx then picks up the shipment and delivers it.
- The recipient unpacks the materials from the container.
Call the cold shipping hotline at 1.888.817.9993 (U.S. shipping) or 1.813.612.6010 (non-U.S. shipping) to learn more.
* Actual cooling duration varies, depending on external temperatures.
** For infectious substances, customer must use inner packaging, which meets IATA Packing Instruction 650 for UN3373 only.
Cold Shipping Package Success Story
The cold shipping package provided by FedEx allows you to maintain a consistently cold temperature with no special training and affords high levels of shipment integrity.
FedEx® Thermal Blanket Solution
If you need to insulate your pallets of pharmaceuticals, medical devices, computer sensors or other high-value items from temperature excursion during the entire transportation cycle, FedEx has you covered.
The FedEx thermal blanket solution is an end-to-end, cost-effective service that includes:
- Thermal blankets that maintain a constant temperature range of 15 to 30 degrees Celsius for your pallets of freight (minimum of 4 skids) and provide insulation protection against direct sunlight, rain, humidity and tarmac heat.
- Pickup and delivery in FedEx refrigerated vehicles.
Download our FedEx thermal blanket solution infographic to learn more about how our thermal blankets have your temperature control needs covered.
Ease, Simplicity and Security
The FedEx thermal blanket solution also eliminates the need to purchase thermal blankets or manage returns. We handle that for you.
And because the solution is classified as an international tool of trade offered by FedEx, you don't incur any additional duties or taxes.
With the FedEx thermal blanket solution, we mitigate your freight from the threat of temperature excursions from the time your products are picked up at your location until they're delivered to your customer.
The FedEx thermal blanket solution is available in the following countries in limited origin and destination pairs:
Call 1.888.370.3971 and connect with a customer service representative to learn more.
Thermal Blanket Success Story
Learn how one international company was able to use thermal blankets, a chartered aircraft and FedEx Custom Critical® services to shave weeks off a critical temperature-controlled shipment.
FedEx offers a proven, reusable thermal blanket solution to help shipments maintain a consistent temperature during transit.
FedEx® Portfolio of Temperature-Controlled Delivery Services
Dealing with sensitive freight? From thermal-mapped vehicles to validated processes to a closed-loop network, we offer the gamut of surface and air solutions for temperature-controlled freight and cold chain shipping.
Temperature-Controlled Solution From FedEx® Healthcare
The FedEx Healthcare Shared Network offers a premium, time-definite, temperature-controlled less-than-truckload (LTL) delivery service to the pharmaceutical and diagnostics product industries.
The service operates within the U.S. as a closed-loop network with chain of custody reporting processes and exclusive dock operators moving under a detailed schedule to and from strategically placed cross docks. Learn more about this specialty delivery service.
FedEx Healthcare Shared Network Success Stories
Learn how our customers have addressed their needs for security, quality, sustainability and improved operational coverage.
Temperature-Controlled Services From FedEx Custom Critical
- Temp-Assure® Full-range temperature control and protection from freezing, available on request; temperature data receipts for your regulatory purposes
- Temp-Assure Validated® Thermal-mapped vehicles, temperature data receipts and a Quality Assurance team to support your regulatory compliance
- Temp-Assure Air® Temperature-controlled airfreight solution for shipments that must stay within a desired temperature range during transport
- Temp-Assure Validated Air® A validated airfreight process for temperature-sensitive shipments that must follow proven procedures that support compliance with Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP)
Contact your FedEx account executive or call 1.800.255.2421 to find out if these options are right for you.
Global Supply Chain and Distribution Solutions
Our supply chain services help you reach healthcare customers around the world. Access key international markets while improving your bottom line.