Get fast second-business-day delivery
Here's what you'll find on this page:
Here's what you'll
find on this page:
What is FedEx 2 day shipping?
With FedEx 2 day shipping, your packages are delivered within 2 business days throughout the United States. You can choose from two delivery options based on your shipment's urgency. FedEx 2Day® A.M. offers morning delivery on the second business day. FedEx 2Day® provides delivery by the end of the second business day. Read on for more details about each service.
Choose from morning or afternoon delivery services
With FedEx 2Day A.M., you get delivery in 2 business days by 10:30 a.m. to U.S. businesses and by noon to residences. This option is a good choice for shipping:
- Lab samples for doctors’ offices
- Urgent documents
Choose economical FedEx 2Day shipping and get your package there by the end of the second business day. Packages will arrive by 4:30 p.m. to most areas and by 8 p.m. to residences. FedEx 2Day offers a perfect balance of economy and speed. It’s ideal for shipping:
- Luxury items
- Professional documents
- Automotive parts
- E-commerce purchases
It helps online retailers stay competitive since e-commerce shoppers want their orders quickly, but don’t necessarily want to pay for overnight shipping.
2 day delivery details
|FedEx 2Day A.M.||FedEx 2Day|
Monday–Friday; Saturday delivery is also available in certain areas for an additional charge
|Weight limit and maximum package size||You can ship packages up to 150 lbs. each, up to 119" in length, 165" in length plus girth (L+2W+2H)|
All states except Hawaii (Delivery times to and from select ZIP codes in Alaska may differ from delivery times in the contiguous U.S.)
|Throughout the United States (Delivery times to and from select ZIP codes in Alaska and Hawaii may differ from delivery times in the contiguous U.S.)|
Ways to get your packages to FedEx
The latest you can drop off a package at a FedEx location for 2 day shipping varies by location. Call to confirm cutoff times with the store. For convenience, you can schedule one-time or recurring FedEx pickups. Saturday pickup is available in many areas for an additional charge.
Calculate 2 day shipping costs
Shipping costs are determined by:
The delivery time on the second business day
Typically, the later in the day the delivery time is, the lower the shipping cost. For example, FedEx 2Day afternoon delivery costs less than morning delivery with FedEx 2Day A.M.
The delivery address of the shipment/distance to the destination
Usually, the farther your package is shipped, the more shipping will cost. Pricing is determined by different zones. The more zones your package crosses, the more you’ll pay for shipping. For example, if you ship to Zone 1, which is 1–150 miles away, your cost will typically be less than shipping to Zone 2, which is 150–300 miles from the origin address.
Packaging type and package size, weight and density
The cost of shipping is determined by the weight of your package. The weight of the packaging used to ship is added to the weight of your contents.
With FedEx 2Day and FedEx 2Day A.M., you can use complimentary FedEx Express® packaging. A FedEx® Box has a minimum billable weight of two pounds. A FedEx® Tube has a minimum billable weight of nine pounds. Dimensional weight is not used for FedEx Express packaging.
If you use your own packaging, your charge will be based on the dimensional weight (dim weight) or actual weight of the package—whichever is greater. Dim weight reﬂects a package’s density, which is the amount of space a package occupies in relation to its actual weight.
Ways to reduce your shipping cost
- Get 30% off FedEx Express shipping when you open a FedEx account.
- Ship with free packaging and a ﬂat rate using FedEx One Rate. Your ﬂat rate is based on your chosen envelope or box and destination. As long as your packages are under 50 lbs., you don’t need to weigh them. It’s a great way to control your shipping costs and speed up your packing time when you’re in a rush.
- Consider FedEx Ground (to businesses) or FedEx Home Delivery® (to residences) when you can trade speed for cost savings.
- Choose FedEx Express Saver® when you can wait for your package for one more day. FedEx Express Saver is a cost-efﬁcient way to get delivery in 3 days.
- Sign up for My FedEx Rewards to get discounts and perks when you ship.
Track your 2 day shipment
Packaging for 2 day shipments
Free FedEx Express packaging
Choose from 12 white packaging options for your shipments. We offer envelopes, paks, tubes and boxes in sizes small to extra-large.
If you don’t have FedEx Express packaging, you can ship with your own instead.
Need help packing? Head to a FedEx Ofﬁce location, and our experts can pack your box for a fee.
Cold shipping boxes
If you’re shipping items that must stay cold for 2 day delivery, use our cold shipping boxes and choose FedEx 2Day A.M. These shipping boxes maintain a constant 2–8°C (35.6–46.4°F) temperature for 48–96 hours, depending on external temperatures.
Answers to your 2 day shipping questions
How does 2 day shipping work?
2 day delivery shipments will be delivered on the second business day, by a certain time. If your shipment is 150 lbs. or less, we offer FedEx 2Day A.M. and FedEx 2Day. If your shipment is over 150 lbs., choose FedEx 2Day Freight.
To ensure a shipment will be delivered the second business day, you must create a shipping label, pack the shipment and get it to FedEx by the latest drop off time. Cutoff times and hours vary by location. You must meet the cutoff time to get your shipment delivered the second day. See the business hours of locations near you.
How much does 2 day shipping cost?
What other options do I have for 2 day shipping?
If you need 2 day shipping but you don't need it delivered by a specific time, choose:
For destinations close to you, transit times can be 1 or 2 days. See our ground transit maps.
If I ship using a 2 day shipping service, why does it take 3 days?
When you’re shipping with FedEx, the shipping days start being counted the day after you hand over your package to us. For example, if you drop off your package on Monday before the cutoff time, it’ll be delivered Wednesday.
Another reason could be that you missed the shipping cutoff time. If you dropped off your package Monday after the cutoff time, for instance, your package would be shipped the next day. And it would be delivered Thursday.
If you purchased a product online, it takes time for a retailer to pack your purchase and get it to FedEx. There can be a delay if the retailer doesn’t get your purchase to us before the cutoff time.
How do I change delivery times?
- If you’re the shipper and you want your package to arrive faster than the 2 day shipping time specified, sign in to your FedEx account or call 1.800.Go.FedEx 1.800.463.3339 to change your shipping speed. The shipping cost may be adjusted.
- If you are receiving a package and want to have it held for pickup or delivered at another time, use FedEx Delivery Manager to customize your delivery.
Need your freight shipments and packages over 150 lbs. delivered in 2 days?
Use FedEx 2Day® Freight for the perfect balance of speed and cost.
This service delivers in 2 business days, Monday–Friday, by noon for most shipments. Saturday pickup and delivery are available in many areas for an additional charge.
Weight limit and maximum package size
You can ship individual skids over 150 lbs. Skids exceeding 70" high, 119" long, 80" wide or over 2,200 lbs. require prior approval.
Delivery is available throughout all 50 states. Hawaii service is available to and from the island of Oahu only.
To help prevent damage or delay, follow the packaging guidelines below. Please note, some fees apply in special circumstances.
- Individual pieces over 150 lbs. should be banded to the pallet with either metal strapping or unbreakable plastic straps applied around the box or skid on all sides.
- Hardened containers (plywood, metal) that are not banded should have an exterior lock or clamp. Glue, nails and screws are not sufficient for securing your freight.
An Extra Services Charge will be assessed if your shipment doesn’t meet these guidelines.
Freight shipments to and from extended service areas may be picked up and/or delivered by a cartage agent. FedEx® Collect on Delivery (C.O.D.) is not available to and from extended service areas.
- Learn more about FedEx Express® Freight service areas and delivery commitment times.
- Check the service area for your shipment online or call 1.800.332.0807.
Add-on service options
- Saturday pickup
- Saturday delivery
- Dangerous goods
- FedEx C.O.D.
- FedEx® Hold for Pickup
- Returns solutions
Get ready to ship FedEx 2Day Freight
FedEx 2Day Freight shipments require a booking number. All freight shipments over 20,000 lbs. require that you call to get your booking number. Booking is recommended but not required for shipments weighing less than 20,000 lbs. View Terms and Conditions.
- If you create your shipment online, start by signing in and selecting the Ship tab. Choose FedEx 2Day Freight under the Service type in the Package & Shipment Details section. Your booking number will be automatically checked and assigned.
- If you call to create your shipment, you’ll be given a booking number. You’ll need to enter your booking number into your air waybill or when you create a shipping label online.
- If you’re new to freight shipping and need help, see our step-by-step instructions.