Milk Products from China
Due to findings of melamine and cyanuric acid in milk/milk products from China, FDA is imposing new restrictions on:
- All Milk Products from China
- Milk Derived Ingredients from China and
- Finished Food Products Containing Milk from China
As of November 12, 2008 all these products will be subject to FDA automatic detention without physical examination. See FDA Import Alert #99-30 at http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/ImportAlerts/ora_import_ia9930.html
To secure release on individual shipments detained by the FDA, the importer can provide with the shipment:
- The results of a third-party laboratory analysis, of a representative sample of the lot, verifying the product(s) do not contain melamine or melamine analogs. Third-party laboratories may use any method that is acceptable to the FDA. See more details at: http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/FoodContaminantsAdulteration/ChemicalContaminants/Melamine/default.htm
- Documentation (in English) which shows there are no milk or milk-derived ingredients in the product(s). This documentation can include formulation and product labeling.
If a firm, shipper, manufacturer or importer wishes to request removal from detention without physical examination (DWPE), they should forward information supporting their request to FDA at the following address:
Food and Drug Administration
Division of Import Operations and Policy (HFC-170)
5600 Fishers Lane, Room 12-36
Rockville, MD 20857
U.S. importers and foreign manufacturers/suppliers should be made aware of these FDA enforcement Import Alerts as they will likely cause shipment delays. As a reminder, perishable foodstuffs are prohibited on FedEx International Priority service.
Related FDA Import Alerts are available at: